Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Regular Contributor
ronltl
My Device: Q10 - bold 9700 and a playbook 64gb (paid full price week 1)

Q10 backup failing

After 2 months of blackberry link not working, I finally solved the issue by using REVO uninstaller to remove, and then reinstalled.  All sync's are now working, but cannot backup the device.  Each try results in backup did not complete.  I discover that the backup starts and creates a dtmp file of size 2gb, and then a .bbb file of 4k, and then fails and deletes the files.  Custom backup without application data has same symptoms.  I upgraded to 10.2 OS yesterday, and link version 1.2.0.28 but problem still persists.  I searched knowledge base and it seems that this is an unresolved issue, and has been for some time now.

Having complete and regular backups is critical, so why has fixing this NOT been a priority?  Hopefully I get some response on this issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
websterny
My Device: 9780

Re: Q10 backup failing

I have the same problem. It happened under OS10.1 also. I believe it has something to do with installing Android APKs, becuase initially after the upgrade to 10.2 the backup worked. After I installed my apps etc it stopped working. Seems like creating an image of the device wouldn't be such a technical challenge, but ....Distressing .. If I lose this device I am in some serious trouble. For anyone in a similar situation, be sure to install a couple of apps that will backup your contacts and, if you are a heavy user like me, your Remember notes. If I lose this data it will be a world of hurt. Blackberry, a little love please?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
isrgish
My Device: Blackberry q10

I'm having the same problem. What I did find is that if I persist and try again and again I manage to back it up. Understandably, this is not a solution. I also think that it may have to do with using folders on the Home screen but i haven’t done enough testing on this to confirm it.

If you are using folders please let me know this may help me to figure out what’s going on.

Thank You.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ronltl
My Device: Q10 - bold 9700 and a playbook 64gb (paid full price week 1)

Not sure which, but at some point both an OS update on my device, and a blackberry link updated resolved this issue.

Also do remember that having an IP address assigned on my home network was important, rather than on the network for my bell modem.  I use a different router, and assign a separtate set of addresses with asll my devices.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
websterny

So, two things: 1) under 10.1 I tried over and over and did get a backup; however when I tried to use the file for recovery, it failed. So be careful. I highly recommend getting a couple of apps that back up contacts and remember for worst case scenarios. 2) I just installed Link on a win 7 machine (I was using osx on 2 different machines it failed); the win 7 version worked without hiccups (no telling if the file will fail when I attempt a recovery but the file size looks right) hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
isrgish

[ Edited ]

I have read many posts on this issue, some way back in Feb. 2013. it looks like there are some apps that cause the backup to fail.

I did some playing around and I found 2 things that may help.

1. When I make a backup and it fails BB Link shows which apps didn't backup. If I go now and make a Custom Backup and deselect the app the first app on the list (which I assumed is the one causing the problem). Now the backup proceeds further then the first time and it first fails later in the backup. If i continue deselecting those that cause the problem than I'm able to backup the rest.

2. After some more playing around I found that one of the apps causing the problem was Blackberry Runtime. This made me start thinking that maybe the problem is that the app is still running while BB Link is trying to copy it and that could be causing the problem. So I started looking for a way to force closed any running apps. I didn't have an easy time on this but after some work I was able to do it. (See more on this later). Now I was able to do a full backup without any problems.

So after all this it looks to me that the apps running in the background is whats causing the problem.

Getting back to the issue of force closing apps. This is what I found.

In Device Monitor under any of the tabs if you click on a program it opens up a screen that one of the options on the bottom is to to close the app. Its easier to use the CPU or Memory tab since i think that on that tab you only have apps that are currently running while on the Storage tab you have all your apps.

This helped for most of the apps but I found to my surprise that the Blackberry Runtime wasn't between the apps. By mere chance I was using an app called Battery Doctor and selected the Rank tab on this program and there I had an option to close down running apps (the list was pretty small) one of those apps is (*) CV2 (I think or something like it, I looked now but its not running). after closing that app everything worked fine as mentioned above.

By the way Battery Doctor opens an app called App Info and that’s where you close force close the running app. Does anyone know how to open that app directly?

(*) To be certain I'm not at all sure that this app is the the Blackberry Runtime. What I am certain is that it helped me.

Hope this helps.

Isr

Please use plain text.
Contributor
websterny

This is not my experience. My experience is, Link works for some minutes and then simply stops, no error, no indication the backup failed, certainly no list of apps that were not backed up. As I mentioned in prior comment, win 7 version of Link did appear to work for me (I also put the device in airplane Mode, don't know if that makes a difference, it didn't help on the osx Link). For those looking to force close apps (I also suspect the problem relates to apk installs somehow), find it In Settings/app manager/device monitor/memory/ circle icon at bottom to close the app. Here is where you can see any headless apps also.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
isrgish

At the bottom left hand corner of the screen in Blackberry Link you can press to see recent activity. Thats where I can see the apps that didn't backup.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
isrgish

After all I wrote about this problem I'm still experiencing the same problems

When I try to backup sometimes it backs up most of my info and sometimes almost nothing before it stops. I’m using Windows XP I understand for some people it helped to upgrade to Windows 7. This is not an option for me.

If anyone can give me some help on this it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I do find that if I don’t leave the screen of Blackberry Link then it works better but its still not s full solution and I’m not even 100% sure since every time I backup it stops at a different place.

Thank You,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
websterny

Consider borrowing a win 7 machine for an hour and see if you can get a good backup. Not ideal, but much better to have a backup than not....
Please use plain text.