Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
dudexk
My Device: z10

Switch device error

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to transfer data from my 9810 to my new Z10 but the switch device wizard fails with the following error:

"Data could not be copied from your device due to the following errors:

- There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

The error happens towards the end of the process (99%?), probably when or after coping word substitutions as that's the last thing that it shows before the error pops up! 

Please help, can't use the phone really without all my data...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dudexk

Re: Switch device error

If it helps my 9810 is an enterprise activated Blackberry with pretty restrictive policies but this has never stopped me from switching devices before, and I've done quite a few...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dudexk

Have been able to transfer text messages and some other settings to the Z10 using custom restore of a backup I made from my 9810 but I'm not able to restore the Address Book which is the most important one...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

if I were you on the 9810 I would :
1) remove the sim card and wifi, as well as deactivate all OTA sync.
2) then on the PC, remove the internet connection (who knows...)
3) and try again

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lorneswartz1
My Device: bold

I too am getting the same error... any luck in getting this fixed... PLEASE HELP

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lorneswartz1

I too am getting the same error... any luck in getting this fixed... PLEASE HELP

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
UncleReemus
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

You need to install Blackberry Link, first back up for old BBerry with Desktop Manager then use Custom Restore for contacts and sms, mms etc

Please use plain text.
Visitor
c_patsalos
My Device: Z10

I am having the same issue. I seems that the device is not ready or locked and does not allow access to its data. The same error happens when I try to backup the device data.

I also tried to restore a backup of my old 9700 device but still no luck. In the BB Link logs I see the following errors:

08:54:58.890|DEBUG|96|Rim.Desktop.Services.ControlChannelWebClient|0|WebClient EXITING SendCommand()
08:54:58.890|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.Services.Device|0|[Rim::smileyvery-happy:esktop::smileyfrustrated:ervices::QNXDevice::BackupRestore::QNXBackupRestoreDeviceService::GetDeviceCategories] GetDeviceCategories - an error occured during GetCategories - Device not reporting Ready - Status: Error
Error: - Error ID: 2
- Description: Error.
Backup ID:

08:54:58.890|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0|Load content exception: BackupRestore detail error = DeviceErrorInvalidProtocol, message: Error during Backup or Restore - Impossible to retreive the list of categories from the device
08:54:58.906|DEBUG|5|Rim.Desktop.Services.ControlChannelWebClient|0|WebClient calling SendStreamCommand() with GetDeviceMetaData: - Params: [ type=music ] [ format=flat ] [ source=internal ] [ order=desc ]
08:54:58.921|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0|Restore exception
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore.ViewModel.BackupRestoreViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass20.<RestoreOperation>b__1e(IDevice device, Object token, DeviceAcquireResult result)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dudexk

No haven't been able to solve this issue, custom restore doesn't copy contacts. Anyway returning my Z10 today, main reasons:

• Major apps missing (eg. whatsapp, spotify, any reddit reader, google maps, etc)
  • Can't transfer my contacts
  • Lack of live tiles or widgets like WP8 or Android

Hope you guys figure a way to solve it, I'm out!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lorneswartz1

Remarkable we all waited 3 years for this phone. I'm packing it in too and saying goodbye to Blackberry.

L

Please use plain text.