Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Update Moves My Shortcuts - Unacceptable

So, I went to perform my weekly backup with Blackberry Link.  I was informed there was software update, and selected to go ahead with it.  I don't like anything that "automatically" chooses options for me.  That's whole reason I use BlackBerry instead of iWorld.

After the update, there are two problems.

1) AT&T graciously provided me with three apps/ shortcuts that I don't want.  Easy enough to delete, though annoying that I should have to.  But, these kicked three apps off page 3 and moved them to page 4.  What's the point of me being able to customize my home screen pages, if every update is going to rearrange them for me?

a) Is there a way to lock them all in place, so any "automatic" additions are moved to the last page, like when you download a new app?

b) Or, alternatively, is there a setting that I can "uncheck" for adding apps during updates or whatever other nonsense "they" think I should have?

2) Apps I deleted before were magically added back. I don't want FourSquare or LinkedIn on my phone, and I don't want to have to re-delete them every time I do an upgrade. Is there a way to keep this from updating, or at least be prompted during the update?

My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Update Moves My Shortcuts - Unacceptable

[ Edited ]

Hello Rush-O-Matic,

Thank you for your question.

Any time applications are installed or uninstalled resulting in a new icon being added or removed from the interface other icons will move as a result.

Any preinstalled apps (ie Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare etc) that are manually deleted from the BlackBerry 10 will be automatically reinstalled the next time a software update is downloaded.

Non preinstalled applications or any applications installed via BlackBerryWorld are unaffected.

As a workaround you can organize any unwanted preinstalled apps by moving them to folders on the home screen:

To create a folder:
Touch and hold an app icon all of the icons start to blink.
Drag the desired app icon on top of another app icon that you want to include in the same folder.
Type the name of the folder.
Tap Create.
You can move any unwanted apps to this folder.

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: Update Moves My Shortcuts - Unacceptable

I totally agree with what you say.

Don't see why if I delete an application like Linkedin of Foursquare that BB insist that it is reloaded,  I accept that when I had the 9800 and loaded a new os it would add back some of the default apps but that I could then delete these.  However I don't see why the likes of Linkedin and Foursquare should be considered an essential default application.

It is really frustrating that Link or the Z10 tells you that there is a new update for the Z10 when in fact it turns out it is the likes of Foursquare and Linkedin to be reinstalled as you have deleted them.

Call me cynical but are Blackberry getting kickbacks from them ?