Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

DCD
New Contributor
DCD
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Using Link to import Calendar & Contacts to Z10

I have successfully sync'd the Z10 with my Outlook 2007 contact list using the Link software; however, my address book did not get fully populated - only about six contacts made it into the book. Microsoft has been no help even though this issue of setting up Outlook after moving to a new computer has been documented.. I just installed Outlook 2007 on my new Windows 8 machine and was hoping to port over my contacts via the Z10.

Any suggestions?.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hooyah
My Carrier: AT&T

Try moving your files from Outlook on your old machine to the new machine with Windows 8 by copying the files from:

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*.* to the same place on windows 8.  This will copy all of the pst and other files you need, and you should then have everything on your new machine.  I have done this successfully with Outlook 2010, and did the same thing with Outlook 2007 earlier.   This should result in your having everything on your new computer, and you can then erase all the stuff you have on the Z-10 in contacts and the calendar and sync the Z10 with the Windows 8 machine using the newest version of BlackBerry Link.  You may have some other name for the file "owner", depending on how the machine is name, but if you go into your computer through the Utilities you should be able to figure out what the proper path is.  I just put these files on a thumb drive on the first computer, moved the drive to the second computer, and copied them over.  You will have some of these files already on the new machine, but they should be much smaller, and result from the installation.  I have not yet figured out how to sync anything but the contacts and calendar.  Would like to be able to sync notes as well, so if you figure that one out, please let me know.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
MPF94025
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

@DCD,

Two thoughts

1) I have had this problem and worked through it. Though there may be many explanations, at least 1 is that BB Link is much less forgiving than BB Desktop Manager regarding individual contact entries. If it comes across one that it feels is corrupt, it will stop at that point. The way I addressed this was going through my Outlook file. There is a mechanism in Outlook that enables the end user to see contact data in a spreadsheet like format. I found odd things, such as email addresses in phone number slots, vice-versa, individual names listed under company, and the display name not matching how the name was entered (eg display name should be last, first, but my entry for John Doe would be John Doe, rather than Doe, John, problem addressed by simply erasing then re-entering the name, and having it appear as Doe, John). I even found entries such as dates for "anniversaries" (Outlook contact "details" page, that I have never entered, as the dates were like 7/1/2045!). This is some mechanism posted that allows users to go through log files to identify the corrupt entries: I don't know whether this is via provider or on BBRY site, or Crackberry, etc, but it's out there.

My contact files are now > 20 years old, and all sorts of stuff can can corrupted along the way, entered wrong. And I never did much "housecleaning" to get rid of old contacts. But, to reiterate, I saw the exact same problem with both native BB Link and 3rd Party Products, and cleaning up the Outlook file did the trick.

I have two general posts on this topic of syncs: Good luck.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/New-Blackberry-10-Sync-to-Outlook/m-p/2425459#...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/New-Blackberry-10-Sync-to-Outlook/m-p/2463289#...

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
MPF94025
My Carrier: ATT

@Hooyah, the BB Link software does not do Notes or Tasks, per BBRY (unless something has changed in the last few weeks) Their sentiment was that BB Reminder would do the job. I do not believe there are plans for ever incorporating Notes or Tasks into the BB Link.

Overall, BB Link was poorly executed from the start, as BBRY felt only a minority (as it turns out a vocal minority) care about direct USB 2way sync, not only as bad software, but also because of the failure to inform those who were pretty content with their RIMM Device and BB Desktop Mgmr.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jacquelinegum

To the point: BB Link sucks. Even with this update, I can't enter data on my BB and have sync back to my Outlook..even after choosing one-way sync, and always use device. Desktop manger worked beautifully for me. And I waited forever for this Q-10. Love the device...but if they can't up their game on the sync, I'll be thinking about a change.

Anyone heard anything about future updates?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,743

jacquelinegum, Link was updated yesterday.

Link updated to v1.1.1.41 (Windows OS)

posted at the top of this Link section of the forum. Hard to miss. :smileyhappy:

ALSO >> You have your mobile phone number listed as your "My Mobile Provider" or carrier. Putting your phone number out on the internet on these public forums for the world to see, is not wise. To change that, at the top of this page click on My Settings > Personal Profile > Personal Information, and in the entry block for "Carrier" type the name of your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jacquelinegum

JSaunders - Apologies. I did NOT see the link as it was NOT at the top of my page. When I see 1o or more pages listed, I generally opt to start at the latest post. Obviously I did not scroll back far enough. I've been looking for this update for a few days as it is widely posted over the internet that it had been available in Canada for some time. So thanks for listing the link again.

Double thanks for the heads up on my mis-listed carrier information. Must have been in a powerful hurry when I filled that out trying to solve my initial problems with BB Link, which were substantial. You're right, of course, but fact is, I've been in the internet space so long, it wouldn't take a whole lot of looking to find me, if someone really wanted to :smileyhappy: But it's sage advice and I thank you for it. :smileyhappy:

Best

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,743

If you look at this LINK section of the forum, the udpated Link post is at the top of the page.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jacquelinegum

Okay then... I still don't see it, but no worries. I downloaded the update that you provided and thanks again. Hope it works :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jacquelinegum

New update did NOT resolve issue: Still cannot sync from device to Oulook 2010. Appreciate any input as to a work around. Thanks

Please use plain text.