Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Using Link to import Calendar & Contacts to Z10

I agree. There needs to be a solid solution. I'm using outlook.com as a sync partner from my Z10 to my desktop outlook, but it's not perfect yet for the calendar. But it works.

There are a couple apps in AppWorld which will backup and sync your data.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apfromm
My Device: Z10

Isn't working for me - not handling recurring appointments correctly, and my contact list is an absolute mess.  Need way to clean out the calendar and contacts database.  Also, still missing sync with notes (and tasks but I don't use tasks on BB).

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
MPF94025

[ Edited ]

My sympathies.

At first, I could find no way, as with BB Desktop Manager, to delete either the calendar entries or the contact entries and start from scratch, using BB Link. And I would recommend to proceed with the following with caution, making sure you have your contacts and calendar items backed up somewhere in some form.

Re contacts mucked up: I did find a method using the Z10 to delete the contacts. There are actually a couple of ways. The first is to swipe down from the top of the smartphone screen while in contacts which produces a "settings' section for contacts. This gives you the ability to identify the source of the contacts, eg SIM card, Gmail, etc, and deselect that source. Alternatively, by using the "more" "..." option" for contacts one can select the anywhere from 1 to the entire list of contacts and delete them. I learned of this after basically restoring the Z10 to factory state and starting over (never a bad option unless there is vital information on the device or it is not backed up)

Re calendar: this is trickier. Unlike contacts,  there is no ability to easily select multiple calendar entries (that I could find) let alone all calendar entries and mark them for deletion. However, by swiping down in the calendar app you can select either "manage" calendar or "settings" (Can't recall which) which source you wish to use for the calendar, eg Gmail, etc. This gives the ability to uncheck which calendar source so they simply don't appear. It's not perfect, but can may get duplicated entries out of the way.

Currently, I'm syncing with Gmail for calendar and working OK. . Another option, proceed with caution, not having one it myself: if your Gmail calendar is in working order on the web, you might try removing the Gmail account from your Z10 completely, and seeing if that removes the calendar entries associated with Gmail. You can then reinstall the link to you Gmail account and see if things sync up properly the second time without duplicates, etc.

Best wishes with this, and if anyone has any ideas why these approaches might not work, please send along.

In order to deal with similar issues I did a factory restore because my contacts were all screwed up (missing company names, duplicate entries) and calendar was all screwed up (duplicated entries). After the factory restore, I avoided the "transfer from prior Blackberry" and simply synced calendar with Gmail. It is working OK, as I'm using Outlook desktop to unidirectional sync to Gmail via Google Calendar Sync (which supposedly was d/c'd months ago, but somehow for me is still working, and the Z10 syncs well with Gmail.) Regarding my contacts, I , as many others, are waiting for BBRY to fix BB Link to Outlook desktop.

Best of luck. The transition from BB Desktop Mgr to BB Link was thought out well on many fronts, but not this one. I fear that if this is not fixed by release of Q10, there will be many upset users who sync routinely with Outlook.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apfromm

Thanks for your detailed and timely response.

FYI, I initially (FOOLISHLY) populated Contacts and Calendar with the "transfer from prior Blackberry" - DONT DO IT!  It was too late to "factory restore" by the time I realized what a mess I had on my hands.

To try to fix it I've been using Blackberry Link "Import from Outlook" option, which helped a bit with Calendar (still have many outdated entries, many duplicates, and recurring appointments not being handled correctly) but is totally hosing my contacts (missing fields, not doing updates, numerious duplicate entries, copies all contact folders includeing the "internal-only" Outlook "Suggested Contacts" which I don't need on my phone, etc.)

Results of trying what you suggested:

1. Contacts - I don't have any contacts coming from any other source - only from the transfer and subsiquent import via link, so there are no options left for me to disable.  Also, there is no "more" option on the contact screen or in the options screen, so I don't have a way to select 1 or more to delete.  SUGGESTIONS??

2.  Calendar - I have about 5 different emal systems I have to interface with and Outlook is my "unified calendar" so I can't and don't use gmail calendar or any other cloud system (one of my emails is exchange, 3 are gmail, 2 are godaddy, and a few others I'm not sure becuase I'm just a user).  I HAVE TO sync with my Outlook Desktop, which WAS WORKING EXCELLENTLYL before i upgraded to the Z10, and thus I was shocked and sickened by the fact that the ALL NEW Z10 did not support this most basic and "Blackberry differentiating" option, as it did with Blackberry Desktop Manager.  

RIM/Blackberry is kidding themselves if they think they can just ditch all of the Outlook Client users out there.  I don't care how feature-laden the phone is - that's all frosting - I need to be able to conduct my business from the phone.  

How can we say it loudly and emphatically and urgently enough that we need the SAME functionality as Blackberry Desktop Manager for the Z10.  Take a poll and see how many Blackberry users have remained such exclusively becuase of the way Blackberry handled email and Outlook integration!!!

Can anyone tell me if any other phone can two-way sync natively to Outlook Client for Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and optionally Tasks?  If there is one I'm sending my Z10 back and I'm getting it unless BB responds with a fix ASAP.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dgale
My Device: Blackberry Z10 STL100-3

I had AT&T load my contacts to the Z10 which was fine until I added more contacts to my desktop. There is no way to now sync the new contacts into the Z 10.  BB Link needs to have a desktop overrides devise feature so duplicates aren't always loaded onto the phone.  Does anyone know how to make that work?   

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adrianyallop
My Device: Bold

Send it back.

In answer to your question no there isn't.  It would not have taken any effort to modify desktop to sync with Z10.

BB do not deserve your custom I am afraid to say. All these work arounds and 'piss-abouts' are the result of those desperate to want this phone to be a success - like Apple users for years they just have to think there phone are the best.

The Z10 is a great phone - but BB doesnt give a monkey's behind for it's customers. And hopefully we know how to deal with such outfits.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dgale

If there was an easy way to delete all the contacts in the phone when you want to sync I could then sync with the desktop when needed without duplicating the contacts but this is a pain in the butt.    

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

dgale wrote:

If there was an easy way to delete all the contacts in the phone when you want to sync I could then sync with the desktop when needed without duplicating the contacts but this is a pain in the butt.    

Look at the AppWorld app called "PIM Backup and Restore", it will backup, delete all contacts on device, etc.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25631874/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dgale

Is this the best way to update contacts by deleting all the contacts on the phone then importing again from outlook all the same contacts?   Will this app allow me to just sync with the desktop without duplicating existing contacts in the phone? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apfromm

Presumably Rim/Blackberry created this forum.  Do they monitor it?

I've been on with support numerous time and all they keep offering is to reset the phone to clear the data and start over.  There is no way to delete the database!!!  Unbelieveable.

If I were the CEO of RIM I'd shut down everything else and work on getting Blackberry Desktop Manager working for Z10 because:

1.  This integration along with the way email was handled (that has changed too) were THE reason myself and many others stuck with Blackberry and even considered trying the Z10.  Outlook integration was THE differentiator with Blackberry.  Now that differentation is gone.  So will the customers.  Soon to follow -- No more RIM.

2.  RIM/Blackberry has to be innundated with calls about this missing functionality - think of all of the $ and time they can save in support by providing this capability ASAP.

3.  Damage to RIM/Blackberry reputation - not only for failing to provide "in-kind" capabilties of previous Blackberry models, but the abismal help being provided by a support staff who clearly is not properly trained, and in any event has no answers that actually work presently.

4.  Loss of revenue when the huge uptick due to the Z10 is negated by the massive amount of returns they will get when users like myself finally throw in the towel and go back to our previous Blackberry.

In the words of Pink Floyd "Is there anybody out there?"

Please use plain text.