Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Contributor
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

Perhaps now that the Z10 is released in the New World where entrepreunership flourishes they will get the message that this omission needs to be fixed and fast.  I am very frustrated that I have held off renewing my phone for so long waiting for BB10 and they have just peremptorily dumped basic BB functionality.  Someone needs a kick up the arse, and hopefully the US market will now provide this.

Contributor
My Device: 9930

I agree but I hope for all of the loyalists in waiting, that the tools we have come to rely on from Blackberry will come sooner than later. I would like to see the Blackberry of yesterday continue to thrive with it's long time users as well as a broader base.

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Orange

I hope as someone has said that some butts get kicked over this - but I think the attitude of BB goes deeper than that - sadly.

Faced with losing market share they simply panicked. The Z10 is a lovely bit of kit. But without all the prior functionality that could be assumed from a BB it is a mistake, and an insult to those customers who like and used to respect them.

Why have they decided to do a 'me too - oh look oh look' response to idobs and android and ignore current users in the process i cannot understand. There was no need to. Market choice is about choice - not about slight variantions of the same thing. If there's already a couple of burger joints why change your pizza outlet to burgers. BB have been so obsessed with reinventing the wheel they have overlooked their core market appeal, A grown-up phone with grown-up business communication functionality is what BB represnted to a huge part of their market. Of course messenger also appealed to the youth sector. So yes of course give us a sexy sexy phone BB we wanted one - we wanted functionality that's WHY WE HAD BBs - but a bit of fun too yes of course if we could.

Instead they simply decided to attempt become another player in an identical market iDobs, Android and Windows with a 'marketplace ' for occasionally amusing but essentially banal dross. If this was in addition to existing capability then OK fine - whos going to complain. But to offer it as an apparent alternative is appalling.

There has been constant media battle about how many 'apps' BB10 launched with, and BB have been upping and upping this number. Yet on day one - sorry month 3 - users are still waiting for some/much of the capability that even the cheapest curve has offered over the past years. That is buttock-clenchingly piss-poor managment.

So if I sound a tad 'miffed' I am - as a BB user since almost the begining i feel let down. I have a Z10 that I cannot use unless I want to type a zillion contacts into it.

Nice one BB !

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30 BES 10
My Carrier: AT&T

Just to share something that may help you get around this until a fix comes. I did this on my Windows Phone. Backup your Outlook pst file by copying it and moving it to a safe place. Then go into your Outlook contacts and take out any info you would not want in the cloud like maybe birth dates and addresses - I slanged certain names etc. After I felt comfortable with what I had and cloud ready I exported my contacts from Outlook. Then I logged into Hotmail via the web and imported them. Then just add that Hotmail account to your Z10 using EAS settings which is probably the default now. Once it was all done I went back and deleted that Outlook pst and replaced it with the backup pst I had made. Outlook is now back to normal, you got your "cloud ready" contacts on the phone without having to manually enter them in. You can also do the same with the calendar. When Blackberry delivers the sync simply log onto Hotmail (now Outlook.com) and delete all the contacts which will wipe them from the phone and then import them again using the Link software. It could help you use the phone until a fix comes... Or not, I thought I would post what I used on my Windows Phone to get around the fact Outlook sync was never coming. Sandy
Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Orange

Of course far be it from me to suggest BB will spend ages producing a dog-fix to BB link rather than simply give us Destop Manager back.

Just a thought BB

Contributor

It's been over a month since the BB promise of USB synchronization. So far the only thing that has surfaced is a oneway sync solution which is pretty useless when you consider life continues in both directions after the fact The z10 is now in AT&T stores and on Thursday in Verizon and other stores. BB needs to step up their efforts to satisfy the business community’s need for the USB sync to Outlook or I am afraid they are going to lose their moment. I truely want to continue my 10 year relation with BB but will continue to hold off on a 10 phone purchase until there is a reliable 2-way USB synchronization with Outlook in place. I really hate to be forced to Apple or Android because there are so many other things I like about BB.

Trusted Contributor

The key word in your post is “reliable sync.”  You figure they have to include Outlook 2007, 2010 and now 2013 .  They can’t just show up with sync for Outlook 2013.  Then take into consideration 32 bit or 64 bit or both, and not just the OS 32 bit or 64 bit, but Office 32 or 64.  That takes a lot of work, i.e. a lot of time - and if you want rock solid “reliable” a lot of testing.  30 days isn’t near enough time to deliver a “reliable sync” for 3 different versions of Outlook. 

Contributor

This is true, however the time should have been spent during the development of BB10 as a key deliverable at it's announcement. Oops

Contributor
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Also there is existing code logic on both windows and previous BB OS's.  They are not starting from scratch, and clearly the existing one-way functionality is the basis for the BB10 component. I know it can't be done overnight but neither does it need to take months.  As I have said before, some indication of real commitment in the shape of a target release date would be appreciated by the failthful; and might even prevent others abdicating to iOS or Android just as BB actually comes up with the goods.  This serious business omission must affect virtually all of BB's non-BES customer base.  Incredible.

Trusted Contributor

It will take longer than 1 or 2 months.

It has already been discussed at length during the 10 pages of this thread the stupidity of not including it at launch.