Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Contributor
hyscore
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook

Re: Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

Hi BAET,

If you take a look at their website that is exactly what they are saying.

Quoting from the website:

About Our Mission: Restore PC Outlook Sync on BB10

We want to restore Outlook USB Sync functionality that shipped with classic BlackBerry devices. Many people don't use Exchange or Cloud services to manage their busienss agenda and client list. We want to deliver two-way USB synchronization of Outlook contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes to BB10 native apps.

All I need now is a couple of good reviews and I'll be a customer.

It seems a very brave thing for this company to do, knowing that the 'official' version is on the way.  So if it works I guess it deserves our support.  My only hesitation is that I do not want to risk trashing my contacts if the product has been rushed out.

Like I said, we just need someone brave to avail themselves of the free trial!   :-)

Bill

Contributor
BAET
My Device: Bold 9900

Hi Bill,

Is the following from BB officials?
...We want to restore Outlook USB Sync functionality that shipped with classic BlackBerry devices. Many people don't use Exchange or Cloud services to manage their busienss agenda and client list. We want to deliver two-way USB synchronization...
I am confused. Is there a native app coming out with Q10?
Contributor
hyscore

Hi BAET,

Sorry for the confusion.

I wish the quote had been an official one from BlackBerry, but it is taken from the website of the third party that produces the utility which allegedly replicates the functionality we know and love and need.

For the avoidance of any further confusion please look here: http://www.bb10outlooksync.com/.

Bill

New Contributor
JFSZ10
My Device: z10

Weird. I can't find a single online review of this product and Norton has quarantined the download twice.. Anyone tried it?
Regular Contributor
MPF94025
My Device: Z10

I gave this a shot and here is my initial impression

1) It took over an hour, following the company's guidelines, to get the app to "sideload" onto my Z10

2) Over about a 2 to 3 hour period, I've been able to get contacts to sync partially. Some contacts don't sync at all, others that are "duplicates" of LinkedIn contacts don't carry over: only the LinkedIn contact is present in the Z10 contact manager

3) the Z10 app never closes completely, whether the transfer occurred at all or in part. In order to give it enough time I left it for 5 hours and still did not close

4) I have yet to get calendar items to sync

5) In order to get contacts to work even partially I turned off all other BB Link sync activity, eg music, etc

6) These were all done as 1 way sync Outlook 2010, Vista, to Z10.

I would not under any circumstances at this point do a two way sync for fear of having my Outlook file trashed

I have exchanged some emails with the company and they have responded and offered to try to work through this, but only after asking me for a list of times I might be available. There is no "call in" number provided. So, I think this is perhaps a well intentioned, but small firm, and as an experienced computer user I can say this product is not ready for prime time, forget about the cost.

I hope to speak with tech support later today, and I asked to speak over the weekend as well, as my weekday time is limited and they have made some pretty bold proclamations bringing this app out at this time.

I will update as I learn more to see if there are steps I've overlooked, or steps the company has overlooked in providing instructions on how to make this work.

Regular Contributor
MPF94025

As an addendum, I'm just grateful I use an iPhone 5 as well and can sync contacts with my iPhone 5 and Outlook or I would be even more upset with BBRY.

This Outlook sync issue raises real questions whether they can weather any real issues with broken aspects of their new OS.

It is an absolute disappointment how they  have handled this in terms of not having this ready to roll when the Z10 was released and the lack of communication has been absolutely awful.

Regular Contributor
MPF94025

Just spoke with sales team from BB10 PC Outlook Sync. Good news is that I feel comfortable they are legit trying to solve this problem, not trying to infest Z10's with malware.

Unfortunate news is that I had followed directions as given and the sync product they offer has some glitches. I was able to transfer over over many (but clearly not all) contacts, no calendar items, and no tasks (I had all of 3 tasks to transfer). I did not dare do two way sync out of concern of erasing data from Outlook.

So work needs to be done, and they are aware. At the moment, they appear to be the best bet and motivated to address the concerns

Although Q10 went on sale today, and some had suspected that there would be release of an updated BB Link with two-way USB sync, that does not appear to be the case. So, iit remains uncertain when BBRY will make this native functionality available in the BB Link desktop/laptop app.

Contributor
hyscore

Hi MFP,

Thanks for these updates and for taking the time (and risk) to try this product out.  Your communications with the company sound very positive, and if they are a small outfit looking to make their mark before BlackBerry roll out the bundled product then clearly they will be incentivised to resolve the problems as soon as possible.

I agree with everything you have said about BlackBerry's unbelievable failure to provide this functionality at the outset and the lack of meaningful communication since.  I for one will support this third party product once I have a warmer feeling about its integrity.  From what you have said it is not there yet, but neither is it that far away.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick resolution!

Thanks again,

Bill

Contributor
baseline7723

[ Edited ]

Although I completely subscribe to all the complaints about the lack of synchronisation I think it necessay to say something positive  about BlackBerry link.

One; it is very easy to move a particular file from my PC to my phone. And I mean many times easier than previously.

Two; even a password protected file can be transferred with the password protection intact. This is a big improvement as far as I am concerned.

But still the above two positives don't negate the negative of no Outlook synchronisation and I am ultimately very disappointed with the Z10. I have had two way sync since my first smart phone which was not even a Blackberry. 

Contributor
HiCap
My Device: Torch 9810

Every day I check to see if there has been a new development in the sync Outlook front.  And thre is none, alas.  With all this chatter one would think that BB would respond.  In this case loose lips sync ships.

HiCap