Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Regular Contributor
dwaynea
My Device: Q10 & PB 64GB
Accepted Solution

Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

I went to buy a new Z10 yesterday but was thwarted by unavailability at the local distributor.  After reading this message board I am relieved I was not successful.

I work for a large multi-national company with strict (draconian) IT policies.  Among them is:

- MS Exchange email w/ Outlook for individual users

- mobile phone access to exchange through IOS and BB enterprise servers.  BB10 access will NOT be considered until market penetration is proven

- cloud sync (GMAIL, Outlook.com) of individual Outlook data is verboten

- USB or bluetooth sync of individual Outlook data (calendar, contacts, tasks only) to personal mobile device is allowed.  Sync of email is not allowed.

It is now clear that it is not possible to get the above business utility using a Z10.  [Blackberry (RIM) tried so hard to make a toy they forgot how to make a business tool.]  My immediate plan is to continue to use my Classic BB for the short term and reconsider an new iphone or android in the upcoming months.

The most frustrating aspect of this issue is the apparent disrespect.  The local carriers don't care and are unwilling to assist - they just want to move devices, and they don't care whose.  And by what I've read on this forum BB has also written off the section of the market that needs this functionality.

Disappointing.

Contributor
DamianLoyalBB
My Device: BB Z10

Re: Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

Couldn't agree with you more. This is a big BB sham as they essentially disguised this lack of critical functionality for business users in all of their hype and marketing. LIke it or not Outlook is relied upon heavily by most people for calendaring.
New Contributor
nzwicker
My Device: Bold 9900

I'm in the same boat. Preordered and bought the z10 on tues...after messing all day yesterday trying to get my cal, contacts, tasks, and notes to sync I finally gave up for the time being. 

I realize some are perfectly fine with all their info in the cloud, but I'm not one. I decided to try and use outlook.com to sync it, and i had moderate success with the cal and tasks, but my contact list was a mess. In Outlook and Outlook.com my address book is flawless, on the z10 it changed random info and wouldn't sync well at all. 

Alas, I realize usb sync is now considered taboo...and maybe I misread the signs assuming my new phone could do what my old phone could do plus more. The 9900 is an organizational tool with multimedia features, I feel that the new phone is a multimedia tool with Enterprise support. 

So after much debate, I returned the phone and went back to the 9900. Maybe the Q10 will have sync support, maybe some other phone company will step up as an organizational tool, but for now I guess I'm staying on the 9900.

Like the superbowl ad, it's easier to say in 2 secs what the z10 can't do...sync Outlook...

G2M
Contributor
G2M
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Completely agree. Its a shame the only phone on the market with local outlook sync capabalities is the iphone, albeit it does this with only contacts and calendars. Its still better than the "nothing" that the Z10 offers. Good job BB, you've alienated a customer you've had for over 8 years. My 9900 was fantastic but as it gets outdated, I might have to get the iphone as opposed to the BB10 devices. Truly a sad sad day...
Regular Contributor
ssbtech
My Device: Torch 9800

I was seriously considering upgrading my Torch 9800 to a 9810 until BB10 came around.  I spent some time trying out a Z10 a couple of days ago and was quite impressed.

However, Outlook desktop sync is a very important feature to me.  I am neither comfortable nor interested in using services such as Gmail or Outlook.com for basic PIM functions. 

It's sad to see that BlackBerry seems more interested in making music and video sync a higher priority than calendars and contacts.  BlackBerry phones have always been great work and business tools, but the lack of business functionality in favor of entertainment functionality is a massive step backwards. 

The loss of BIS and solid POP email support is pretty significant, but removing Outlook desktop sync moves me from "I think I might be able to put up with the loss of BIS" to "I can't deal with losing BIS AND Outlook desktop sync".

Contributor
NeilJThomson

Couldn't agree more - won't touch any BB10 phone w/o outlook sync
Contributor
judem
My Device: Z10

I completely agree as well. BlackBerry for me is a business tool I use primarily for email, Outlook calendar & contact synchronization, and PIN to PIN communication. I held out for a long time to get the new BlackBerry system primarily because of such good experience up to now in utilizing these features. Am seriously considering returning my Z10 and going back to my old model while I decide what to do next. Very stupid decision to alienate your core customer base for the sake of some toys.

Regular Contributor
ssbtech

When I bought my PlayBook (at full price) I was quite frustrated at the lack of very basic features that even my Torch 9800 had. 

I worry that migrating to a BB10 based phone will leave me frustrated with the lack of basic communications features that previous BlackBerry phones have had for years. 

G2M
Contributor
G2M
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Yeah, based on this release, they've made pretty clear that they're more interested in their product as a toy than a business tool. Which is unforutate because there are far better toys on the market.... Hope they fix this don't wanna stay with my 9900 forever
Regular Contributor
ssbtech

On the contrary, I'm happy to stay with my 9800 for as long as it takes for BlackBerry to sort things out :smileywink: