Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

pistolpete-uk wrote:

Hey Blackberry,

Are you reading all this? There's a lot of your core market out here that are really pissed off with lack of business functionality in your new phone. I've been using it for just over 1 week, it's a great piece of kit, the hub is fantastic, the interaction with the unit is simple and intuitive - but I'm absolutely dumbfounded that you have ignored outlook sync, both wirelessly and even usb!! Your phone is not an iphone competitor, it is distinctly for business, not play. Oh, for heavens sake...!!!

Please give us a forum response, some glimmer of hope that you listen to your customers, otherwise...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

OH! They already did!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TheSand
My Device: Z30 BES 10
My Carrier: AT&T

And the best line...

*PIM synchronization over USB connection between your desktop mail client (eg. Microsoft Outlook) and your BlackBerry Z10 is not currently supported, however BlackBerry is committed to including this later this year.  Please stay tuned at http://BlackBerry.com/BlackBerryLink­  for more updates.

So they will include it just late.  Thank goodness!!:Clap:  Just to pass along Hotmail (now called Outlook) through Outlook 2013 is EAS so you don't need to use the Hotmail connector making that easier if you want to go with a web based client through Outlook for wireless sync to a smartphone that includes EAS. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pistolpete-uk
My Device: 9900 + z10
My Carrier: voda

Ha,

It only took me a day...

My 9900 sync'd wirelessly to outlook which via google desktop sync updated google calendar for me. The system was simple and worked great. But... introduce the Z10 (no outlook sync) and google withdrawing desktop sync meant my whole system came crashing down!

I had to come up with a creative solution...

I tried various approaches including activesync, nothing worked until I followed the geek squad instruction http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/sync-outlook-with-blackberry-z10. This uses the hotmail outlook connector. It meant that I had to get a new email account at outlook.com, but I only need to sync the calendar and contacts to it, I can still leave my regular email alone. So my Z10 now syncs to a remote calendar & contacts (hotmail) and then to my desktop outlook. If I want to continue using my gmail calendar (as I use a lot of google via my google account) then I can use a paid for sync system like companionlink, cost a few £ but it's a lifetime licence.

But what a palava!

Just think how we'd all be saying such good stuff about this phone if they'd just put a little thought into the needs of their core market. Well, IT'S NOT TOO LATE! it can still be done. I wonder if anyone at RIM even reads this... I feel like I'm just blowing off into the wind here...

Thanks for the welcome..

Peter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBuserZ10
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I have set up my Z10 to sync calendar and contacts by following same instructions: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/sync-outlook-with-blackberry-z10. Works for me. Just don't forget to set default calendar in your Z10.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBuserZ10

The link doesn't work from here. Just copy and paste into your browser. http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/sync-outlook-with-blackberry-z10

Please use plain text.
Contributor
judem
My Carrier: Telus

While I do appreciate all the various tips, there are still many of us who really don't want to put our contacts and calendar in the cloud. What we really want is to be able to connect directly to Outlook through BB Link. Up until now, I'd been impressed at how responsive BB was to business needs. But their dropping the direct Outlook sync and PIN messaging is rapidly changing my opinion. They have really dropped the ball. I've already advised other colleagues to wait before jumping to the Z10.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nzwicker
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I appreciate all the tips as well. But I feel that the point of this thread wasn't that we were asking for help because we couldn't figure out the cloud based system...it was a warning of sorts to BB. Many bought the Z10...and promptly returned it and went back to their old phones...

There are those who don't want their info online. I tried to use the outlook.com as a solution, and I wasn't happy with how it worked. My contacts changed from work and personal, to other in many fields, it also decided to drop last names into the first name column... My calender now has 15 min reminders for everything...When I look in Outlook on my pc and on the website, they are all correct and normal, the transition to my z10 wasn't smooth nor flawless.

At the end of the day I stuck around BB while everyone else was jumping ship, why? Because my phone worked for what I needed. I has my work tool (9900) and my play toy (ipod touch). I was hoping to be able to drop them and only use one device...but sadly I can't. To those who are completely happy with their device, I'm glad you enjoy it, the keyboard is nice.

So, I feel the point was recieved by BB to get working on this omission, but as an early adopter of the Playbook my patience is now pretty thin on spending money on a new BB on the promise that it's "coming". I'll use this time to wait for the q10 as I am partial to the physical keyboard anyways. But I went from being fairly confident that I was going to have a new BB, to now looking elsewhere... Thus, I'm not mad...just disappointed is all.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mcallisterw
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: O2

Well I hope that the new functionality comes soon. I'm with a lot of other people in flying contrary to what those that design our new technology tell us. Everyone wants to do everything on the cloud now, in a few years (so we're told) the personal computer with a large hard disc and installed software will be obselete, we'll all be using workstations and smartphones. Appmageddon is upon us.

Well we don't all live in Silicon Valley where people would recoil in horror if you told them that in some parts of the world, internet access can be slow and sporadic.

Also we all know that the reason the cloud is being pushed so heavily isn't just to reduce hardware costs, it is because the more data you place in the trust of third party companies, the more easily they can tap into that data for marketing purposes.

Already we're getting to a point where if you make a note of an important appointment in your cloud-based calendar, and that appointment takes place on a farm in the middle of nowhere, as soon as you venture out of town you can no longer access your calendar to double check the location.

I fear it is only a matter of time before your front-door requires internet authentication before it will open, the internet connection in your area goes down one morning, everyone gets locked in their houses and the world grinds to a halt.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TheSand
My Device: Z30 BES 10
My Carrier: AT&T

I was waiting for the Z10 at arrive here in the United States but now I will wait until the Blackberry Link software is up to speed and can deliver what the Blackberry Desktop Software is capable of.  I need the SMIME cert sync so my wait may even be longer as that typically is the last feature/function Blackberry delivers for their syncing software.  This isn't my first rodeo waiting for syncing software to get up to speed.  For those of us running 64 bit Office we have been here before (it took RIM well over 6 months to come to the table with 64 bit Office capability) when they released their new "Desktop Software" in replacement of the "Desktop Manager." 

For those that are going to use Hotmail for sync - Outlook 2013 puts Hotmail (or now Outlook.com) through Outlook 2013 as EAS so there is no need for the confusing Hotmail Connector. 

So my wait continues (and it has already been long hasn't it)... and I will buy refurbished before I will lose what I want in sync capability. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBuserZ10

I've got my Z10 synced over USB and Wi-Fi using companionlink. Works well for me. No need of hotmail, and Wi-Fi sync is very convenient. I paid for companionlink less than $40. They have a promotional price going on now.

Please use plain text.