Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Z10 What happened to sync for contacts and calendars from Outlook etc

ExchangeVeteran wrote:

no chance.  Android is baically UNIX ona diet (whereas apple is UNIX FAT) and BB10 is umm, ?? C++ written down i think... ugh. The emulation required to run an android app on a BB is not out there. 

I absolutely do not understand what the words in your sentence. This is not a matter of operating system. The Android porting tool encapsulates an Android app in a bundle that makes it runnable in the Android runtime environment that is available on the PlayBook and the BlackBerry 10 phones.

The issue here is simply about two questions:

• does the third party editor here want to port their app to BlackBerry 10
  • can the porting tool deal correctly with the USB/BlueTooth interface

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ExchangeVeteran
My Device: Bold9900, Z10
My Carrier: Virgin

my mistake.  I have not had success porting to BB yet.  I was being colloquial as to success as opposed to availability.  I stand corrected.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AA388
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone Uk

"

both solutions will take a lot of time. for instance, Apple took at least 4 years to bring that to iTunes, through a Microsoft Outlook addin (requires VB.net or C#.net skills).

RIM obviously will be faster, but not just a few weeks."

Thats all well and good BUT this has been a major issue on the Playbook forums since the start, everyone was asking them for this feature and they have not bothered to do anything about it in the last year and i doubt they ever will.

My Z10 is going back, i've had it a week and I might as well have the hassle of setting up another type of phone as that is ALL that a Z10 is, just another smartphone but with limited scope for improvement. getting rid of outlook sync is like shooting themselves in the head and wondering why it hurts.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

AA388 wrote:

My Z10 is going back, i've had it a week and I might as well have the hassle of setting up another type of phone as that is ALL that a Z10 is, just another smartphone but with limited scope for improvement.

I find it difficult to say that the Z10 is a phone with limited scope for improvement, 12 days after its release. Many people with iOS6.1 for example have been unable to use the WiFi since their OS upgrade, and this has been more than 12 weeks, with no expected date for a fix, and nobody says the iPhone has a limited scope for improvement.

If the Outlook sync is mandatory for you, this cannot be argued obviously, but be aware of the outstanding limitations of the other brands. :smileywink:

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AA388
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone Uk

"nobody says the iPhone has a limited scope for improvement"

They do and that's why Apple have stashed $85bn in the bank, iOS is getting near end of life and they are twitching as what do do next. The bubble will burst it's just when. 

It's people like me who are loyal BB users, that have small businesses, that don't use exchange and who use a BB because of it's security that they are alienating.  If we don't get on board, the apps wont be written and the whole thing will fail.  They seem to have created a very good product that is nothing special but is up against a lot of nothing special. The reason that Iphones sell is because every **bleep** in the world want an Iphone because they think they are buying into a lifestyle, marketing is everything! You can sell sand to the Arabs if you say the right words until they notice they have some of there own.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mick1959
My Device: 9780 (returned Z10)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Xandrex wrote:

If the Outlook sync is mandatory for you, this cannot be argued obviously, but be aware of the outstanding limitations of the other brands. :smileywink:

To me it is madatory, and I am aware of limitation of other brands, but limitations are better than no option!

I really wanted the Z10 to work for me, my 9780 is likely to fail soon, it has been a fantasic mobile office for me.  On a Z10, I can live without synching media via USB, but business wise, I rely on being able to sync with my Outlook via USB.

If I want to sync media,  I can buy a wide range of alternatives and like the Z10  maybe even use workarounds to sync my outlook.

This just gives the compeitors more amunition to get more sales at Blackberry'sexpense - imagine the sales pitch:  "...yes the Z10 fantastic, oh you want to sync to outlook, sorry not via USB.  Oh, you dont have an Exchange server either, well you could pay extra each month for one online with limited storage, or use a workaround with outlook.com.  Oh, none of those are options, well there are alternatives which can do it  .......".

I hope for Blackeberry's sake an announcement is made quickly when an option to sync via USB is available, as all those return by dates are looming, then all the carriers wont be happy at the number of returns they have to deal with.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

[ Edited ]

Mick1959 wrote:

Xandrex wrote:

To me it is madatory, and I am aware of limitation of other brands, but limitations are better than no option!

I really wanted the Z10 to work for me, my 9780 is likely to fail soon, it has been a fantasic mobile office for me.

Why don't you buy another 9780 to replace this one? (just asking... if your device is fantastic, why change for another model)

Mick1959 wrote:
I hope for Blackeberry's sake an announcement is made quickly when an option to sync via USB is available, as all those return by dates are looming, then all the carriers wont be happy at the number of returns they have to deal with.

I have no knowledge of the number/proportion of Z10 returned by customers who need the Outlook sync. I hope RIM knows.

That being said, the announcement was made yesterday by the Community Manager:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Announcements/Learn-how-to-sync-your-contacts-calendar-multim...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ThinkReferrals
My Device: Z10, Playbook & 9800 (backup)
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

The announcement was made yesterday by the Community Manager:

*PIM synchronization over USB connection between your desktop mail client (eg. Microsoft Outlook) and your BlackBerry Z10 is not currently supported, however BlackBerry is committed to including this later this year.  Please stay tuned at http://BlackBerry.com/BlackBerryLink­  for more updates.

Good news, the sooner the better.  Only a few other bugs to work out to make this an amazing phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mick1959
My Device: 9780 (returned Z10)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Xandrex

First thanks for the link abd announcement by Blackberry , I had missed that.

Why not get another 9780, well they are no longer supplied by my carrier, but i could get a 9790 or 9900, but that means new contract and still not addressing a few other needs.

I so wanted the Z10 to work for me for me,  like many it is not just the latest 'must have gadget', but a tool to improve my work efficiency.

I was looking forward to finally come out of dark ages when viweing doucuments on a larger screen, using pinch zoom, just like others at meetings I attend who with iPhones and Samsungs effortly zoom in on details (I work in construction so viewing documents in detail is now standard).

But, no Outlook sync for now means when my 9780 dies, I will look at something I can use as a work tool .

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

Mick1959 wrote:
I was looking forward to finally come out of dark ages when viweing doucuments on a larger screen, using pinch zoom, just like others at meetings I attend who with iPhones and Samsungs effortly zoom in on details (I work in construction so viewing documents in detail is now standard).

hey,

we are getting a bit off-topic but I can't help it :smileyhappy:

in addition to my Z10, I also have a 9900. There is the PDFToGo in it, that allows to view PDF files. The app has:

• a search feature
  • a zoom feature (pinch to zoom)
  • and it works with many "read only" Acrobat features like clickable links within the document.

Of course, the 9900 screen is VGA (640x480) and not HD (1280x720), but if you look at the Torch 9810, you'll have VGA too but with a physically bigger screen (3.2" as opposed to 4.3" for the Z10, but I personally think that a 4:3 ratio screen like the Torch is much better for work than a 16:9 ratio on the Z10).

Please use plain text.