Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
CanuckYYC
My Device: Z30

Z30 / Win 7 - Can't load music, can't access phone as drive

Hope this isn't in the wrong forum - at any rate, here's what I've got.

Argued strenuously for the Z30 and against the iPhone after years of rejecting any corporate phone.  First BB phone but have a Playbook.  Blackberry Balance corporately engaged. Trying to sync with a Win7 (32) machine.

Managed to get contacts loaded from the laptop without too much hassle, sync'd pics from Z30 to laptop.  Haven't bothered with docs.  No information showing under the music section, much to my chagrin.

I did read a post here about manually dragging music over to the Z30's music folder, but I can't access the folder from Win Explorer.  Windows doesn't show the Z30 in Explorer, though it does show up properly in the Device Manager.  As noted, there's connection via Link.  Using the BB Device Manager, it shows the Z30 with the volume mounted as Z:\ however when attempting to right-click/explore it, Windows shows an error to the effect of "Z:\ refers to a location that is unavailable".

It does show up as a device on the network, and clicking it shows a shared Media folder and shared SD card but trying to access them calls up a login window requiring a username and password.  I've set up both WiFi and USB file sharing on the Z30, with passwords, but the lack of username seems to be bringing the process to a halt - I can't get it to accept a login password.

I have music stored on my network for iTunes (not the most current version I'll admit - the wife updated her iTunes and we've both been hating it ever since so I've refused) and some audio files stored on the laptop.  Round and round I go, trying to get them onto the Z30 but I'm blocked at every turn.  I can't access one device from the other via wifi, or USB except the rather limited functionality provided by Link.  Quite frustrated at this point.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CanuckYYC

Duct tape and a properly-timed, appropriately hard (or soft) tap and I fixed it! Not really...but there's music.

Uninstalled everything Blackberry - all of it - LINK, Desktop Manager, Device Manager, Helper...everything I could find.  Reinstalled only LINK.  While I was at it, installed the latest version of iTunes so we could rule that out too.

• Initial sign-in went perfectly
  • Still no music
  • Reboot computer
  • No automatic sign-in.  Attempts to sign-in fail.
  • reboot, disable AV, start LINK with "Run as Admin"
  • Still no sign-in
  • (Have not yet connected the phone in all of this)
  • Plug Z30 in - no response from computer, no LINK fire-up
  • Disable AV again
  • Go directly to the file (not start menu) and start LINK as admin
  • Signed in!  Yay. 
  • LINK reports Z30 not connected (Z30 reports otherwise).
  • Music!  It's there! NO idea how but I'll take it.
  • Unplug phone and plug it back in - phone says connected
  • LINK...doesn't.
  • Turn off WiFi on Z30 (hey - it worked on the Playbook from time to time)
  • Try different USB ports, in/out in/out - no dice. 

So now I have music, but no phone.  Oh LINK, why does thou hate me so?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CanuckYYC

Consistently inconsistent

So I have no music once again.  And still having sign-in issues.  If anything, this software and my laptop provide a consistently inconsistent environment.  I just want to drag some music onto my phone - why must it all fight me so?

Thus far it appears the only way to get it to sign in, is to re-boot the computer.  If I shut down LINK and open it again, it won't sign in.  If I reboot the entire machine, LINK opens automatically and is signed in properly...but without any music...or the ability to connect to the phone.  This is almost as much fun as iTunes on Windows! ( that's not a compliment)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CanuckYYC

I'm sorry BlackBerry, It's not you, It's me

Right so it's not LINK so much as my Win7 / Norton / Gateway combination.  Downloaded and installed LINK on the Win7 work machine and it does everything you'd expect it to do.  Similarly, when I fired up my long-dormant Win XP box at home, the first bubble to pop up was a notification that there was a new device on the network (the Z30 natch) despite having not been used since prior to the Z30's arrival.  It has never shown up on the Gateway's list of networked devices.  I'm starting to hate that laptop.

So, it seems that all the cursing and figting is down to the combination of laptop, OS and AV.  Which is the actual guilty party at this point remains to be seen.

Please use plain text.