Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
AshMcAuliffe
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

i cannot install Link. Help!

Hi all. This is my first post and I really hope you can help me.
My new BB Z10 arrived today and I am super happy with it. 
I have been trying to install Link all day and it keeps getting to a certain point and then bringing up this message. I am stumped and just don't know what to do. I uninstalled BB Desktop Software and even that did nothing.
The message that comes up is - "some of the installation files from the previous versions of the software could not be removed. Make sure that no other applications is using these files."

I have tried to plug my BB in and my computer doesn't recognise that it is connected. Help.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: i cannot install Link. Help!

hello,

I advise you to uninstall the Desktop Software, reboot your PC, then try to install the BlackBerry Link again.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mweissx
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

uninstalled original Blackberry Desktop 7.

Reinstall BB Link.  Wont run.

what do you make of the error I get: Windows (Vista 64) Problem signature/Event Name: CLR20r3

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

does this link help?
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/49/t/84328.aspx

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AshMcAuliffe
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

I have tried everything now and it will not install. Had to install Link on my computer at work in order to use it. Just don't know why it will not install on my laptop at home. It is Windows Vista so maybe that's a reason?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

from my understanding yes CLR20r3 is a Windows Vista error.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrearp
My Device: 9810 Torch
My Carrier: H3G Italy Three

I finally found a solution to this problem

While performing some searches, I discovered this affected BOTH Blackberry Link AND Blackberry Desktop Software, so there should have been some ... link between the two.

There are many threads around, but each one refers only to one of the two softwares, but the common problems led me to understand that this is unrelated to the software package itself, but to automatic driver installation procedures
carried out by the installer (Windows INstaller)

Here's what I found:

Affected Environment: the problems shows up on Windows 7 and other Windows version machines, when installing or upgrading Blackberry Desktop Software, or Blackberry Link.

Sometimes, you have Desktop software installed and you want to install Link, OR you have Desktop software installed, it is working fine, but you need to upgrade it (automatically) to apply some software update -
some Desktop SOftware updates are required to update some devices.

Symptomps
The problems shows in exactly the same way, during the final steps of installation of either Blackberry Desktop 7 OR Blackberry Link.
You get a warning message saying
"Some of the installation files from the previous versions of the software could not be removed. Make sure that no other application is using these files."

open the

Users\$_you_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp
directory. You may need to choose hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer to see these

Choose to sort files by creation date, scroll to the most recent files, and look for one of these

BB_Desktop.log, if you're installing Blackberry Desktop Software
OR
BBLink_Install.log if you're installing Blackberry Link software.

Open your file with a text editor, and look for part of the error message "some of the installation"  using the Find feature
The cursor should stop where the error occoured.
If the line above shows something referring to InstallRimUsbDriver, there are good chances you're exactly in my situation.

If you DON'T find the same error I found, the line above the error message should give you a clue about what's going on, and you may want to share it on this forum, however the solution below may not be applicable to you.

Solution

Before you begin BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM AND CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT. The best thing is to have a full hard drive image. While the following steps are quite straightforward, additional problems on your system may be creating a
potentially worse situation. Remember to backup your Blackberry device as well and also contacts/calendars/notes as these can be affected by the first sync after Desktop Software reinstallation.

While I'm listing all the steps I took, some of them may be unnecessary, however the uninstall/reinstall of Desktop Manager or Link software should be performed anyway, IMHO.

Uninstall Blackberry Desktop Software or Blackberry Link (I chose the "erase user data" option as well).
With the device still connected, Uninstall the Blackberry smartphone driver from Control Panel / Device Manager
Disconnect the device.
Open a command  prompt window, and type
pnputil.exe -e
you'll get a list of devices/drivers, scroll as needed and take note of the "oemxx.inf" entries regarding Research In Motion devices.
(xx can be a 2 or 3 digits number)
type
pnputil.exe -f -d oemxxx.inf
to remove the entries regarding the Research in Motion devices.
Chech that the operation succeded after each action.
Restart system.

At this point, yoy may start reinstalling the Blackberry Desktop or Blackberry Link Software;

You may still get the error.

Now perform again the above actions regarding pnputil.exe to see if there are still Research in Motion devices appearing.

then open the

Users\$_you_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp
directory. You may need to choose hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer to see these (you should have done this before, see above)

Choose to sort files by creation date, scroll to the most recent files, and look for one of these

rim_usb_install_log (date stamp) - choose the most recent

Open it with a text editor

In my case, I found this(20:52:07): Entering ModifyRimUsbRegKey

(20:52:07): Exit ModifyRimUsbRegKey, RimUsb.sys  count: 2

(20:52:07): InstallRimUsbDriver NT
(20:52:07): DeleteAllRIMInfFiles ENTER
(20:52:07): SetupUninstallOEMInf inf file:smileysurprised:em192.inf ERROR 0xe000023c

Look for the oemxxx.inf (in this example is oem192.inf) file on your hard drive. Delete it.

Run the installer again. This time, I went into another error

(20:59:48): DisconnectDevices: Enter
(20:59:48): DisconnectDevices: CreateInstance failed. Error=0x80070002
(20:59:48): DisconnectDevices: Enter
(20:59:48): DisconnectDevices: CreateInstance failed. Error=0x80070002

Then rebooted and the install went fine.

Keep in mind that, whenever something goes wrong with these driver related action, you get little information in the main log file, but you get some more in this file.

After performing these action, reconnect the device, it should be recognized; you'll almost certainly need to reconfigure your sync preferences, and start synching again.

Please let me know if this helped.

Please use plain text.