Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

windows explorer automatically opens to display volumes

When I connect (usb or wifi) my BB 10 phone to my computer, Windows Explorer automatically opens to display contents of S/D card and device. How can I disable auto open of Explorer?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: windows explorer automatically opens to display volumes

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

1. With the BB connected, go down to the Windows System Tray (normally bottom right, where the clock is).
  2. Find in the system Tray the item that pops up saying "BlackBerry Device Manager" (depending on your Windows settings, you might have to click the Up Arrow to display all System Tray items).
  3. Right click that icon and select "Properties".
  4. Go to the "Options" tab and un-select the "Launch File Explorer on volume mount" setting.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks. I believe I might have set the 'open explorer' option while setting up the phone to connect to my computer. Unfortunately, the BB Device Manager strangely does not seem to 'activate' (at least it is not appearing in the system tray ) even tho Explorer is opening to display phone volumes. So I can't change the options. Any other way to get at BB Device Manager?

Hall of Famer II

Ummm...I know of no way for the BB volumes to map and display without the Device Manager running. You maybe have some odd things configured to your computer, suppressing things from displaying in the System Tray? Very odd...is the Desktop Software running? When it is and the device is connected, the Device Manager likewise must be running.

If you really can't find it, then you might have to uninstall and reinstall the Desktop Software and start over, this time not selecting that option as you go.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks. A re-install did the trick. The Device Manager icon re-appeared and I was able to adjust the settings.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II

Excellent...I'm glad that worked, and you are very welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates