Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

10 problems and questions about the 8220

Hiya,

I have come to a point where I am a bit more frustrated about my new phone than actually enjoying it, my previous phone was an XDA Orbit running on WM5, as such I guess I came to expect a lot more from the phone than is good for me...

I just got an upgrade from O2, and since the Bold was not in stock I was sent this one.

Anyway, here goes:

1. SMS Message-folders: Is there any way I can create folders for my messages? Say for example: "SAVED-Bob", "SAVED-Steve", etc? At the moment I only have one main SMS folder displaying everything and I really do not want to save messages in the same "Saved messages" folder under 'Applications'

2. Deleting multiple messages: According to the help, pressing the alt-button while rolling over the messages will select the messages I want, then pressing the menu button I would need to select "delete selected messages". Well, that doesn't seem to work. If I press the alt-button all I will achieve is the trackball going to the top or the bottom of the messages. Could anyone point me into the right direction?

3. Sent emails: Why is there no "sent" messages folder? I would have expected that with a blackberry (that is said to be an office-email-phone) I have some sort of Outbox and Sentbox?

4. Memory card: How can I use it? The only reasonable explanation I got from the phone that I had a memory card was when I took a picture and it told me that these would be stored on the MicroSD card. But how can I as a user access it? How can I create folders on there? How can I save items such as notes on there? And if I put up a folder on the memory card with a number of word documents, PDFs and text notes, how can I access these?

5. Security: How can I lock folders such as messages or email (say for the sake of the argument that I would be using the same password for both of them) so that whenever I want to access my SMS messages I need to enter a code?

6. Image-editing: How can I edit an image after I took it to get it to a smaller size? I was using TwitterBerry to upload an image I just took to my twitter account, but it just sat there uploading the image (which was a 1600x1200 image) for about 10 minutes (with WiFi connected) and did not do anything.

7. Message preview: I don't want to see the whole message on my phone! Is there no way I can just display the "New Message" icon with the sender, but not previewing the message on the outer screen when the phone is closed?

8. Trackball problems: the trackball does not seem to be sitting 100% in the middle of the recess, instead it is squinted a little to the right. It isn't a massive problem, but if I can see white light coming through on the left and not on the right I do not really think this is a "feature". It works and everything, but it just doesn't look properly / right

9. Hinge a bit wobbly? The hinge has a bit of movement when closed (not when opened), is a movement of 2mm normal?

10. Full phone backup: Can I make a full backup of my 8220 using any piece of software (the software that came with it hasn't been touched yet) to fully backup my phone and contacts for easy import into another Blackberry should I need to return this one for #8 ad #9?

Thank you all very much for your time and help on this, I would really like to enjoy the phone, but at the moment I just can't and I have already spent so much time importing my contacts properly that I really don't want to consider changing phones...

Alex

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: 10 problems and questions about the 8220

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

1) Sms messages. You can Go to message queue, options, general options, scroll down to

SMS AND EMAIL inboxes: Select separate. You will have a separate folder for you SMS messages.

There is not a way to save by user, that I am aware of.

2) To "gang" delete hold the caps key and scroll over the messages, then press delete.

You can also scroll to the date line, menu key select delete prior. This will delete all messages prior to

the date listed.

3) Please list whether you are setup as  BES (server based) or BIS (personal phone).

4) Memory card. Any media files you can put on the media card will save your device memory. The more

device memory the smoother your BB will run. The simplest way to manage the folders and data on the media

card is to use the USB cable to access the PC and BB. Open Windows "MY Computer" the media card will come up

as a flash drive. You can then load the files into the proper directories via the "drag and drop".  If you have device software OS 4.5 you have docs to go. This contains word and excel, and powerpoint. For a good answer on how to use it, see this link read the Post by JERRYD:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=22720#M22720

5) You cannot lock individual folders. You can password protect the device.

6) In the camera go to options, select Picture Size select large, medium, small.

7) To change the external screen options:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16014&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

8+9) You would have to compare with other 8220 to see if it is a normal condition, I have no access to

an 8220.

10) Yes, Use the desktop manager software to create a backup of your phone. You can either restore

the backup to the new phone, or use the switch device wizard to transfer between two Blackberry

phones. This should be in the users manual.

User manual:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3936/userguide_bb8220_gprs.pdf

Thanks

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks
Message Edited by Bifocals on 11-13-2008 02:51 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Hiya,

Thank you very much for your response, Bifocals, I really appreciate it!

With regards to 6), does that mean once I have taken a photo I cannot change the size of an existing image to crop it down to uploading / attachment?

ALEX

Guru I

The only cropping option on the BB is if you select a photo to add as a contact picture, you can then crop the picture

to fit the contact window. Otherwise not. It is worth noting that reducing the dimensions of the photo, does reduce

the size of the file.

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hiya,

No I'm aware that cropping does reduce the file size, but I think that it is a bit of a step to reduce the size of an image you already have by either having to make it fit for a contact picture - or moving the file to your desktop / laptop to image-edit it there.

[edit]: thanks for your detailed / updated reply in your first response, I really appreciate it!! 

Alex

Message Edited by Thorandor on 11-13-2008 03:52 PM
Guru I

If you look at the edited post, I have answered your questions, except 3 which I need to know information from

you. As for the version of device software on your BB  go to options/about version will look like 4.x.x.xxx.

this is relevant to the Docs to Go answer.

Please send the two answers.

I believe the cropping/sizing options that you would like to have, were a bit ambitious in the design for a BB 

simple media manager in the device.

I also included the manual for your phone in case you did not have one.

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks

New Contributor

RE: 3) it is set up as a personal phone. The device software is v4.6.0.155 (platform 4.1.0.55), does that help?
Guru I

Hi,

The good news! You should have doc's to go on your phone with device OS 4.6:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15466&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

The other news: as a BIS user you will not have the sent and received personal folder setup that you

do on Outlook. A BES phone maintains a connection to the MSexchange server that allows you to have full

function with the BB. On BIS however, You can save email messages to the saved folder, you can hide or display the sent messages in the main message queue, you can save sent emails. However the are saved in only one folder.

Thanks,

New Contributor

Hiya,

Once again thank you very much for all your time on answering my questions! I think I will stick with this BB for a while Smiley Wink

Cheers,

Alex

Guru I

Thanks, Alex

Nice working with you!

Bifocals