Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

8120 wi-fi problems- Have I been a little rash??

[ Edited ]

Evening everybody,

I had a great idea: why not buy a wi-fi enabled smartphone so I can stop lugging 3 bits of electronic trickery about with me all day. So, after a bit of research, ebay called and before long a LOVELY O2-locked 8120 pearl arrived. I popped my PAYG O2 simcard in, put some music on it and synched my diary and all seemed well, until I tried to use the Wi-fi:

- Why can I only get blackbery sites to load? Surely a Wi-Fi connection is independent of my carrier or BIS/BES?? It seems to connect (it says its connected and I get an IP address in the diagnostics) but then why can't I get any other site (regardless of TLS/HTTP/HTTPs status)?

I've been through many resets and tweaks but at the moment I have a very expensive dairy that makes calls, rather than something I can use to browse the web (and therefore be productive when out of the office). The 02 site recommends an OS that is a previous version of my current OS (I've got v4.3.0.94, & the Desktop is current version) and that just seems wrong. And although I have found a more up-to-date version it's not 02 (and I worry that this would trash the whole thing).

I'm not signed up for any BIS/BES as I wanted to combine a PDA, MP4 player and phone, and I as thought a Wi-Fi browser would allow me to check my email etc. when out and about, this was the answer to all my questions. I'm wondering now if I've been a bit impetuous and need to spend £££'s on data plans etc.

Can anyone advise why connecting to t'internet is so difficult? It's just that if I keep looking, my girlfriend will leave me...

many thanks in advance,

Paul.

Message Edited by Paulus on 06-06-2008 02:04 PM
Regular Contributor

Re: 8120 wi-fi problems- Have I been a little rash??

Hello Paul,

So far, I've noticed these blackberries load in settings depending on the SIM card you put in. If you don't have a BIS/BES service, you can still browse other sites than BB sites using the WIFI feature. Open your web browser and go to options, then under general properties, do you have more than 1 listing for your default browser? My 8120 has a Hotspot Browser and I use that when I pop in a foreign SIM pre-paid card. On that account, I don't have a BIS/BES service and WIFI works just fine. I'm not sure what O2 does, though. You may want to ask other users in your area to see if they can use WIFI on their BBs without the BIS/BES service.

-ec 

New Contributor

That's it!! many thanks for that- I've now used it in several hotspots and it's been great.

Much appreciated for you time and effort- seems such a simple solution really so thanks very much again.

P.

New Contributor

I have been having a similar problem.  I used to have a t-moble pearl 8120 but it broke so I bought an unlocked O2 pearl 8120 for half the price.  I never had a problem with the WIFI connection on my old phone i set up WIFI Connection as my default, but the O2 phone doesn't even have that option.  I was able to set up a WIFI signal at home, the phone recognizes it and it is saved, but the phone cannot physically connect to the WIFI signal.  Did you notice something along the lines of this with your phone?

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

I have a similiar prob also.  The WiFi connects with a grey WiFi icon, the browser works but videos dont play and UMA doesnt work. Why

SG7
Contributor
My Device: Curve

I have a BB curve that I just got last week.  I don't have a data plan.  Just use paygo cards from Fido.  I go to Starbucks and try to connect to their hotspot using the wifi feature, and all I get is a blank white screen.  It finds & connects to the network fine.  But when I try to bring up any website, all I get is a blank white screen.  On my old palm pilot, it would bring up the boldstreet login page, where I would accept the terms of use, then hit connect and it would connect me.  But with my BB all I get is a blank white screen.

I have no problems connecting to my home wireless network, or any other open network that does not have a login screen.