Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
pmorgan2
Accepted Solution

8220 - Bluetooth will not enable

Hey guys, I've had my BB Pearl Flip for a couple of months now. It works great and I really like it. However recently I've run into a problem that I can not find an answer to.  I use my BB as my mp3 player via a bluetooth headset.  Recently I have not been able to enable bluetooth on my phone, which is leaving me without tunes.

When I go to "Manage Connections", Bluetooth has a red X.  So I highlight it and click my ball and it greys out with a checkmark for a few seconds, then goes right back to having a red X with no message.

When I go to "Set up Bluetooth" I tell it to either listen or search, both of which automatically sends me to "Enabling Bluetooth..."  After a few seconds, that message simply goes away and the header remains on "Bluetooth: Disabled" with the rest of the screen blank white.  Clicking options and going to "Enable Bluetooth" does nothing.  No messages or error reports.

Clicking on "Bluetooth Options" sends me to a blank white screen with a header saying "Bluetooth: Disabled".  Going to options and clicking "Enable Bluetooth" does nothing (no error, no sign anything happened).

I've tried reading these forums but I can't find anything like this.  I tried pulling my battery out while the phone was on, and it did reboot and do that reloading thing.  However bluetooth still gives me problems.

I usually leave bluetooth enabled on my phone at all times.  I just charge my battery more often.  Recently I turned off bluetooth because I needed more battery and did not have my headset for a few days.  Now I just can't turn it back on.

If anyone knows what I may do to get my bluetooth musical goodness back, I'd be very appreciative.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

Re: 8220 - Bluetooth will not enable

Have you updated the OS recently or install any new apps before the problem started?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmorgan2

I'm running v4.6.0.151 (Platform 4.1.0.52), which is a little behind this month's release of 4.6.0.259.  I don't often connect my phone to my computer, but I suppose I can give an update a whirl.

I did not install any new apps in the last few months.  I did install MySpace and Facebook when I first got my phone. I don't use either of them anymore, so I could uninstall them and see if that helps (although I'm not sure how to remove apps).

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

The newest release you mentioned is not supported by your carrier so keep that in mind when you update. The OS you have is the original release so updating may help. To uninstall apps go to options > advanced options > applications and highlight the app you want to delete click menu button and select delete.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmorgan2

Alright, I've updated to v4.6.0.180 and deleted any unused applications.  I am still unable to turn on my bluetooth.  I'm not sure what else I can do to this phone.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmorgan2

I took it in to my carrier and they called BB support.  After doing exactly what you guys told me to do, they decided my phone needed to be replaced.  I guess my bluetooth component just gave up and the phone has no error message for that.

So the solution would be to take your phone in and have it checked.  Chances are you need a new one.

Please use plain text.
luvlivefoods

Hi,

You have described my Bluetooth problem exactly. This is on my 8230. I wonder why we ended up with this same situation. After talking to a technician, I was told to take it to a center to return it. That's prettt upsetting as I am traveling now and can't do it. What to do?

Very Frustrated

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bigbain
My Carrier: Tmobile

This is exactly my problem which i have notice just started less than a week ago. I also have the 8220 and we have had our phone for ruffly the same amount of time.

I was actually going to ask a guru member of the board, but if you have already call BB support and they said you will need a new phone, then I guess thats where I might be headed to. I would hate for it to be that way.

But if that is the only solution then so be it. 

Thanks for saving me the time of having to post that issue. 

And thanks for informing us on what may need to be done.

A big headache half way solved thanks to your post. 

I will also call BB support and see If I have a different out come.

I will surely update you when I do.

Big Bain
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bigbain
My Carrier: Tmobile

You were absolutely right about having to get a new phone.

I called RIM support and they had me wipe my phone completely like you would formatting a harddrive, then they had me reload the operating system from Tmobile website. RIM thought that there may have been a third party app that corrupted the bluetooth software that came load with the operating system. So after doing all this the bluetooth feature still would not enabled. I called them back with my case and long story short they figured the hardware for the bluetooth radio was the problem.

SO I AM GETTING A "NEW" PHONE!!!

I was hoping for a different outcome, but you where right man, you were right!

**bleep**!

Big Bain
Please use plain text.
luvlivefoods

Hey,

What do you mean by the hardware for the radio? The headphones? This is important as I don't want to have another mishap with the new phone.

Thanks

Please use plain text.