Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Visitor
MGCalanb
My Device: Not Specified

Are you happy with the 8220?

Hi,

I'm about to go the route of a Blackberry for the very first time. I'm considering the 8820, 8320 (Curve), 8120 (Pearl) & 8220 (Pearl Flip). I am leaning towards teh 8220 because it has EVERYTHING the others have and more, plus a protected screen with the flip-phone design.

BUT, I am reading reviews - numerous ones - from back in October complaining that the phone is buggy and the browser is "excrutiatingly slow." In the world of electronics - when we're not in a recession :smileysurprised: - two months is a long time in which things can change (and improve).

I am curious if the browser slowness and buggy issues (software) have been resolved or if they're still existent to this day. I am also curious if you've had other Blackberry models (particularly one of the others I'm considering above) and can offer opinions and comparisons (besides looking at the specs RIM provides).

For reference: I've almost always had a flip phone and I currently have an iPhone. But, the iPhone is unlocked so I could get on T-Mobile. It's on the old OS version (1.1.4) because a valid unlock tool has not been released by my preferred contact and, thus, cannot get corporate email pushed to me - thus one reason to seek a Blackberry. The other reason, for the models above, it that I need the WiFi capability for the HotSpot@Home feature from T-Mobile.

Thanks in advance for your time in reading this and for any responses you can offer.

AlanB

Please use plain text.
New Developer
katrinaniolet

Re: Are you happy with the 8220?

I just got an 8220 a couple of days ago, I'm mostly happy with it so far. I was considering the 9000 (too big and too expensive), the 8120 (the OS was only version 4.3 and I wanted at least 4.5), or the 9500 (Verizon's calling plans are not great and I wanted a real keyboard). The only real issue that I have with the 8220 is that it feels a bit slow at times, but not usually horribly so.

As far as the protected screen, there is still the outside screen (which is nice, it will show the text of your incoming email so you dont even need to open it) and realistically people break the hinges on flip phones more often than the break the screens on non-flip phones.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gw22

My 8100 crapped out on me last week so I stopped by the local store and ended up getting a 8220 for $25 (of course I had to re-up on my plan) but it likely would be cheaper than repairing my 8100.  It was $25 to up to the 8220 or $175 to go to the bold, so I cheaped out - and not sure I like the width of the full size keyboard models.

The display seems to be a little more crisp on the 8220, and different icons & fonts etc.  I use it mostly for email and I'm not a big browser user.

The 8220 doesnt seem to be as comfortable in phone use - the flip/hinge kind of rests up against your face - but it may just take a little to get used to it.  Once I get used to it, or hook up my bluetooth headset, I'm sure I will be fine with it.

All in all, I would have to say it is a good device.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jjbryant
My Device: Pearl 8220

I have had the 8220 flip for a month now (upgraded to it from the 8100 Pearl) and it has distinct advantages over my previous Pearl (which I had for two years). Most if not all of the previous reviewer and owner complaints have apparently been resolved by the latest version of the software (v. 4.6.0.180) which is available for download to your phone direct from Blackberry once you install the latest version of the desktop application to your computer.

I am on the T-mobile network. I also use it on the home connect WiFi service and it works great (older version Pearl could not do this). When using WiFi the browser is noticeably faster but when not it is no slower than any other Blackberry except the new Bold (which is 3G specific and has a faster processor but is not available at T-Mobile). The Pearl flip with new software can also do Java and youtube videos which I could not do on my old Pearl. I also like the larger keypad which is much better than my older Pearl.

Garmin has a very nice GPS application for this phone that also works great all you need is an external GPS receiver such as the one that they also sell. There are other services that do the same but to my knowledge they are all subscription based where Garmin's is a one time fee currently $99.

As for negatives - you will find that most pearl third party applications will work but some will not. Some of the application vendors haven't caught up yet since the phone is so new. They do not recognize the 8220 as a Pearl phone at all so will refuse to even let you download their application to your phone (yet it would probably work). I cannot currently sync my Pearl Flip via bluetooth with my wife's MyGig-Uconnect system in her Dodge (her curve has no problem here and my older Pearl could also connect without a problem). This will probably be fixed in a later software update to the MyGig system.

Bottom line - I chose the Pearl 8220 flip over the curve (which my wife has so I have some familiarity) because I was already used to my earlier Pearl 8100. I liked the larger keys and was used to not having a full keyboard. The screens are actually the same size (flip vs. Curve) only the flip is longer than wider (resolution and camera is better than old Pearl but also the same as the curve). Previous to jumping to Blackberry I had a long run of Motorola flip phones. The curve has a longer more established history which should even out over time. My wife is very happy with her curve and had I not already been using an older Pearl for the past two years I would have probably gone with it too. Either one is a good choice. If money were no object I would have probably gotten an unlocked Blackberry Bold and used it at T-mobile.

I hope this information helps you! Feel free to send me a message if you would like additional information.  James

I hope that this informatiion helps you to solve the problem!

James

IanChristie1972

I just got my 8220 recently and am very happy with it, except for an issue with playing streaming media over wi-fi

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8200&thread.id=298

Does v. 4.6.0.180 fix that problem? or is that a provider issue?

--==Ian

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jjbryant
My Device: Pearl 8220

Re: WiFi video

Yes, version 4.6.0.180 solved that problem for me on the T-Mobile network. Hope this helps you.  James
I hope that this informatiion helps you to solve the problem!

James

clitrenta
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

I just swapped my Pearl 8120 for the 8220 and I'm pretty satisfied with that move.  They both have very similar features but I chose to make the move because I wasn't especially thrilled with the small keys on the 8120. Those on the 8220 are noticeably larger and the screen is also nicer.  I did not realize when I got the 8220 that you were able to view incoming messages on the external display (nice touch).  I don't know that I have any particular preference for flip over non-flip however, I am glad I don't have to deal with locking the keys and what not.  Maybe it's my imagination but I also think it's easier for me to read text on the 8220 which is a big plus as you get older and your eyes start to fail you.  :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
itzjak
My Device: 8220 Flip

Well... no, i´m not.

I´m tired of my 8220.

Why? Let me explain:

1. The New BB Messenger 5.0 doesn´t work on it. I install It, and had to return to the older version. Problems with voice notes, images, etc. I have a post in somewhere to explain all the problems.

2. The BlueTooth, today, stop working. I cant enable it. It seems to be a problem for all the users of this model of BB. In the end, the BlueTooth stop, and is nothing to do, except the replacement of the BB. In other countries maybe this is a easy thing to do, but here, in Venezuela, with Movistar, i have to leave my phone for 15 days, and, if in 15 days they dont have a solution, they replace your Phone. Now, imagine, 15 days with no e-mail, Messenger, etc, just waiting for a response. Everyone have the same final response all over the world, REPLACEMENT.

I think, RIM have to solve this. A lot of people, in a lot of countries are having the same problem with the Bluetooth in the 8220, and we need a solution more faster, because, come on RIM, you now that is happening.

I´m realy sorry for two things, my bad english (i´m from Venezuela), and the tone of my reaply, but now, please undertand my situation you guys. I´m angry and sad at the same time.

Bye

Please use plain text.