Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
frankiefoofoo
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB Pearl 8220 Flip - External display troubleshooting.

About a few weeks ago, my dad updated my BB Flip 8220 with the Desktop Manager software that the phone comes with. When he gave it back to me, I realized that the external display was either blank or just said "T Mobile". Then I noticed more things: when someone would call me, their caller id would not show up. When someone would text me, I was not able to preview the text like I had before. Last of all, I was not able to view the time from the external display, so I would have to open my phone to do so.

I've looked at other threads that regard external display issues and  read about the taking-out-the-batter technique. But prior to reading this, I've done so numerous times and nothing changed when I turned it back on.

Now, with that said, my question is: 1) Was it because of my dad updating the blackberry on the Desktop Manager software? I've lost the usb cable that connects my phone to my computer but wanted to check if this is something that I could fix from the phone itself.

2) And if it was because of the update he made, where would I go to fix that (in the desktop manager program).

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood
My Device: BB 8220 & BB 8900

Re: BB Pearl 8220 Flip - External display troubleshooting.

The external display needs the stock themes that came on the phone to function. When your dad updated the phone they did not get installed. The fix is simple but you will need the USB cable to connect to the desktop manager. In desktop manager you will use apploader to install the themes and then all will be back to normal.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
frankiefoofoo

Hello zwood. I was wondering if you could go into more detail as to what I'm supposed to do. I selected the Application Loader on the main menu (I'm borrowing my sister's usb cable) and there are two options. 1) Add / Remove Applications or 2) Update Software.

Where do I go from here?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

You will use update software, basically you will be reloading the operating system. If you have not done this before just make sure that DM backed up your phone when you first connected so you have a current backup in the event something goes wrong. During the install you will see a screen that looks a lot like the add and remove program. This is where you will select the themes and what ever else you want to add. A word of caution, don't uncheck things that your not sure of, as with the themes not being installed something's may not work right. The 8220 has a lot of memory so you don't need to be concerned with a memory shortage.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
flyingfinn98

I had the same problems, too. So I made a phone called to T-mo customer service, they have a BLACKBERRY Dept. to helping people with any problems with their BB handset.

here's how they solving my problem (it works for me and my device), FIRST, hold the ALT and press L G L G, then it will show the Event log

just click to delete it them all. SECOND, go to this address http://na.blackberry.com/eng/update/

click CHECK FOR THE UPDATES, another pop window shows the "applicatin loader " make sure you're connecting the phone with your computer, then click ok to let the programs run untill it finished and installed. after that, the phone will automatically restart to reinstalliing those programs!at the same time the external screen will show the analog clock the signal bar/battery bar indicator.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil64

I have the same problem.  I wiped my phone using JL_Cmdr because I could not find the wipe command in General (different on the Curve vs. 8220).  When reinstalling OS, I chose 4.6.0.180 vs. 4.6.0.151 and since then my external display only displays T-Mobile.  No clock, caller ID, Nada.

Surely someone at Blackberry checked the external screen function before releasing 4.6.0.180 to the world.  I guess I can downgrade but .........

I'd like to know for sure.

Neil 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
frankiefoofoo

Oh, I see... do you know if I am able to downgrade? I'm really not liking this external display situation.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

Did you try using the desktop manager to load the stock themes that originally came with the phone. The external display needs these themes to work right whether you use them or not.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil64

I just found the real fix by reading post linked below.  Open Blackberry Desk Manager while your 8220 is connected to your PC.  Open Application Loader.  Install Blackberry Attachment Service.  As soon as it completed installation my external display was back to the clock.  My T-Mobile SIM is currently out of the house and the phone is locked so I can't try Caller-ID or other alerts until tonight but if the clock is back I believe everything else is too.

Thanks to zwood for posting the fix below.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8200&message.id=1170&jump=true#M1170

Neil 

Please use plain text.