Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 3G 9105

Battery Life

The battery on my 9105 (BB 6.0 bundle 2950) doesn´t even last 24 hours. Not using it a lot does not extend the battery life by much. I also tried all the power saving tips, but no help. Even with an all new battery the problem still exists.

Do you have any help as to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance,

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Battery Life

[ Edited ]

While there is only a slim chance that this will help diagnose your situation, a "new" and a "known good" battery are not necessarily the same thing...while rare, a new battery certainly can be defective. To be totally sure, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. The best source of a "known good" battery is an identical BB that does not have the problems yours has...trade batteries and see what happens.

But, if you rule out the battery as causal, then it's something running on your BB. To diagnose further, I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior continues, then there may be more drastic measures needed (e.g., WIPE, reload, OS update, etc.).

Also, here are some guidelines to use:

• KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone

Lastly, it is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press blackberry_logo.jpg and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Further, anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure. Some have taken to doing this on a regular basis as a preventive measure...some as frequently as once per day. Others have obtained the QuickPull app to automate a simulated Batt-Pull.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.