Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
free_bee
My Device: Not Specified

Battery discharges when handset is off

Hi -

I've been using a BlackBerry 8120 since October 2009 (upgraded from a 7230). The handset sofware version is v4.5.0.174 (Platform 2.7.0.105).

I've noticed that, on occasions, the battery has discharged significantly while the handset is turned off. For example, yesterday evening I fully charged the battery before turning the handset off, but when I turned it on this morning only 80% of the charge remained. On other occasions, I've found that the battery has drained completely when the handset has remained turned off for a couple of days.

I always exit applications by pressing the Menu key and selecting Close. I turn the handset off by selecting the Turn Power Off icon in the Applications menu. I never leave WiFi or Bluetooth running, and I don't use social networking applications. GPS Services are always set to Location Off. The only non-standard application that I've installed is Opera Mini.

I've tried turning off the Mobile Network connection, so that all radio systems are disabled, before turning off the handset, but that seems to make no difference. I've even bought a new battery, but that behaves in the same way as the original.

I've updated the software to the latest version available from my network operator (Orange UK), and I've read, and try to follow, all the published tips on maximising a BlackBerry's battery life.

I never had this problem with my old 7230. Is this typical of the 8120? Is there anything else (apart from the steps mentioned above) that I should be doing to prevent this from happening? Could my handset be faulty?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Office2Mobile
My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Battery discharges when handset is off

free_bee,

When you select to turn off your device, do you select "Turn Off" or "Full Power Off"? You may see a difference with these two options. Also have you tested another battery yet with the device?

Hope this helps,

Office2Mobile
Poor Service and the Worst Support provided by VarDynamics http://vardynamics.com/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
free_bee
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Battery discharges when handset is off

[ Edited ]

Office2Mobile wrote:

free_bee,

When you select to turn off your device, do you select "Turn Off" or "Full Power Off"? You may see a difference with these two options. Also have you tested another battery yet with the device?

Hope this helps,

Hi Office2Mobile -

I only seem to have two options for turning off my handset: a) press and hold the red call disconnect button; or b) select 'Turn Power Off' from the Applications menu. I don't have a choice between 'Turn Off' and 'Full Power Off' in the menu.

I always use method b).

I've actually tried three different batteries in the handset now, but the problem occurred with all of them.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.