Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

darkdestroyer01
My Device: BlackBerry 8100
My Carrier: O2

BlackBerry 8100 how to disable password?

Hi

I have brought a BlackBerry 8100 recently from the internet, I noticed I keep on getting asked to input a password to unlock the device, I have tired to disable this on the security setting menu but there is a red padlock next to it. Can anyone please help me with this? Many thank in advance.

Regards

Shafiq

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry 8100 how to disable password?

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Since this is a used BB, you may have other challenges...refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If the seller did not properly conduct their required steps (and, from what you have reported, I would deduce that they indeed have NOT done so), then you will be unable to use this BB for full BB-proprietary services on any carrier. If the prior carrier did not release the BB PIN from their BIS system, then no other carrier can create a BIS account for the device. Further, the prior carrier will normally only accept a release request from their actual account holder...which will not be you, and you might not even be able to fully determine what carrier is holding the BB PIN locked to their BIS system.

The inability to remove that padlock can normally be caused by one of two things:

1. Having Content Protection or Encryption enabled on the device...using those requires the device lock password security setting
  2. A latent IT Policy could be on the device, which includes the requirement for a device lock password (this is likely since your device was used, and based on what else you have reported was likely not properly cleansed by the prior owner). Removal of such an IT Policy issue can only be accomplished via one method:
    • KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software
    • And you must be very careful when you do so...if, for example, you first take a full backup, and then restore fully that backup after you conduct the ResetToFactory, it will dutifully place the IT Policy back onto the device, and you will be right back where you started. Rather, if you do any backup/restore, you must do that selective, choosing only those databases that you absolutely require (e.g., Contacts, Calendar, Messages) and specifically avoid restoring any databases that have anything to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, etc.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.