Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Siegeman14
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 9100 (3G)
My Carrier: Koodo

BlackBerry Pearl 9100 data plan not working correctly

Dear fellow BB users,

I am having issues relating to the use of a BB data plan on my Pearl 9100.  I had bought my phone unlocked from eBay while I was living in Europe.  Upon my return to Canada, I signed up with Koodo and the plan included 100 mbs of BlackBerry data per month.  Since popping in the SIM, BBM, email, app world and other applications that require the BB data have refused to work properly.  The web browser, however, partially works, but websites with a lot of script on them cause the browser to revert back to the homepage.  Today I was on the phone with Koodo for nearly an hour trying to sort this out and tried registering the phone via the HRT option.  The message sent, but presently I have not received a message back confirming the registration.  Other than this, I did not receive any further suggestions from Koddo other than to update the OS and delete/re-install the problematic apps.  These have also not worked.  Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers!

Siegeman14

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Pearl 9100 data plan not working correctly

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First off...do your voice services work properly via Koodo? If not, then attempting anything at all with data is moot.

Second...your specific model is not, according to the official Koodo download portal, natively supported by their network. Using a non-native BB model on a carrier network that does not support it is very challenging...and often fails completely. You can often receive generic data services, but the BB-proprietary services (BBM, push email, etc.) all require the proper Service Books on the BB, and the SBs are delivered by the network automatically, but typically only to BB models that the network natively supports (and your does not meet that criteria for Koodo).

However, your problem seems deeper...if the HRT cannot succeed, then even the trick available for the Service Books (e.g., extracting them from a functioning BB and importing them to yours) will not help as the Koodo data network does not recognize your BB at all. Until that works (as confirmed by receipt of the Registration message), nothing else will be of any value to attempt.

And, sadly, there is nothing anyone here can do as the problem lies with the Koodo network and it's inability to properly register your non-native BB onto their data network. So, only someone with "behind the scenes" access can look into it, and the volunteers here simply don't have such access. You must continue to work with Koodo, and try to convince them to escalate to RIM to see if there is some reason that your BB will not properly register. For instance, if the BB was reported as lost or stolen, it is entirely possible that the PIN is locked out of being registered to ANY carrier data network. But, again, only someone with "behind the scenes" access can check that.

Good luck! 

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Pearl 9100 data plan not working correctly

Oh wait...I just had another thought...did you use this BB in Europe on a carrier there, with full BB services? If so, you must also be sure that the BB PIN is released from that carrier BIS system...a BB can be registered to only one carrier BIS system at a time. If yours remains registered in Europe, then that would explain why it cannot register to Koodo.

The Service Book problem will, though, remain, even if you resolve the HRT issue.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.