Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Pearl 8120 Will Not Charge

I got a sim free Blackberry Pearl 8120 off EBay. Its been fine for five months. Now however it will not charge.

I have tried taking the battery out and the power and re-inserting the battery. I charged the battery in other phones and it works fine. It sounds like a hardware problem.

Has any one had this before ?

My eBay reseller eCell is recommending i get Blackberry to sort out the problem. My understanding is that it is the Resellers responsibility to handle any warranty claims (and liase with Blackberry on my behalf).

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Blackberry Pearl 8120 Will Not Charge

are you using wall charger? try the USB connection to PC instead.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.

USB does not work either

I'm having the same problem, I just got my replacement phone from T-Mobile and figured out what it was.  Where you plug in the USB and power cord theres a little piece with 5 wires on it, I guess my charger pushed one of those wires back so it's not seeing the usb or the power connection now. 

Here's the kicker.  That USB connection is the ONLY way to transfer your data from one phone to the next via the Desktop Manager software.  Lucky me, I'm on a Mac which isn't supported so I didn't have my data backed up.  So I installed the Desktop Manager on my work computer and tried but it won't see the USB connection.  I called T-Mobile and they infromed me there was no other way to do this function.  Sooooo now I have to transfer all my contacts to the SIM one by one AND do all my calendar entries all over manually because the geniuses at RIM didn't think to give us another way to transfer numbers and info.   I had a Sony phone 3 years ago that had a "copy all to SIM" function, and you could even save your phonebook as a single file and bluetooth it to your computer. 

I want to know why the hell my "smart" phone is so stupid.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

Hi,

If you have Bluetooth on your computer, you can try following this KB to set up the desktop manager to transfer this information via Bluetooth:

Set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Cheers

I am going home to get my bluetooth dongle and if this works you are a saint sir. 

I have a bb curve and I'm having a problem with the phone charging. reading ur post i looked at my phone and three of those wires on mine is pushed back how do you fix it?  Im with At&t and we couldn't get insurance on  this phone.  
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: T-Mo 8120 Pearl

I have the same problem, but the 5 contacts in the USB plug look good.  I couldn't charge the phone from the wall outlet or by connecting it to the laptop.  Looking around the Internet I found out the trick is in inserting the plug sort half way through, maybe a bit more, and... voilá... it connected.

I could sync up via bluetooth, but you can only transfer data with a USB connection.

This is obviously a bad phone, because if I just touch the phone while connected via USB I lose the connection.  Judging from my Internet searches, this is a widespread problem with the 8100 series, maybe others.  Blackberry should own up to it.

George from Bedford, TX
8120 on T-Mobile with BB Unlimited Email+Internet but
without the BlackBerry Enterprise service
My Device: 8120
My Carrier: T-mobile

ya,

The god**** 8120 phone will not charge whether you use the car or wall chargers or with the usb cord to the computer.  This problem has been getting progressively worse for the past 2 months...It began with the need for an occasional jiggling of the power cord in order to see the stupid little yellow lightning bolt on the LCD to indicate that the phone is successfully charging on one extreme, to zero connectivity while jamming the plug into the outlet of the phone with all of my might (or twisting the **** out of the plug to one side while it is plugged into the phone).  Now, I can't charge the phone.  I'm getting ready to open this thing up and see if I can remove the existing receiving-end trapezoid-shaped encasing hardware piece for the plug and replace it with a new one or tweak the ******in any fashion necessary to repair the connection--After all, I know the problem is not on the charger/plug end because each and every charger I have has ceased working.  Wish me luck!