Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Trusted Contributor
bbbl67
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Wind Mobile Canada
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Protect does not complete on Pearl

My wife's Pearl 9100 has been having a lot of trouble backing up over BB Protect software, lately. It used to work perfectly fine before, but now it seems to start the backup and then it aborts after about 90% completion. Also the backup is extremely slow. The Pearl is connected through my home Wi-Fi router and we have 25 Mbps broadband connection, so there should be no speed issues at all, I would think.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Protect does not complete on Pearl

Hello!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

Okay, just tried that, but it didn't help. The message that keeps coming back is 'Backup failed: The Blackberry Protect service is temporarily unavailable".
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...OK, then I next (make sure you have signal covereage from your mobile service provider when you do this) suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should perhaps try removing and reinstalling BB Protect. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support and potential escalation up to RIM (your carrier must escalate you...there is no other path to receive any formal support from RIM).

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

Sorry, I ran through all of the 3 steps, and they didn't help. It looks like it aborts exactly at the 99% mark.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

And have you checked to see that you are on the most recent BB Protect? They recently released v1.1.1.76.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

Yup, as a matter of fact we first noticed the message when the notification to upgrade Protect came up. We noticed that there had been several failures already, so we decided to do the update to see if that fixed anything. It didn't.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...ok...next thing to try...booting into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, try and take a BB Protect backup. If it works, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If it does not work, then even more drastic steps would be next in line (e.g., wiping, reloading the OS, reloading the OS "bare bones", more drastic wiping, etc.).

At some point, you will need to decide if you wish to move onto Formal Support, which you would obtain from your mobile service provider, who can escalate your case into RIM.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

Yes, it looks like Safe Mode worked, finally! I have no idea what might have happened prior to the behaviour happening. Do you think it could've been an app?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Not being able to see your BB and having only what you tell us here, my only answer to your question can be "yes", it could have been an app. It also could have been something else. I have absolutely no way to know at all.

You, on the other hand, have much more ability to look at what is going on. So, as I said, if the behavior does not present in SAFE mode, then try to figure out the culprit. You may have to, one at a time, start removing apps while in Safe Mode, then go back to normal mode and see if the behavior presents. If it does, then go back to Safe and remove something else. Once the behavior does not present, then you know the culprit...the last thing you removed.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.