Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
CatherineInCanada
My Device: Pearl 8230

Can't connect to Device Manager (Desktop Software)

Hi everyone,

OK, first things first -- a computer whiz I am not!!!  I apologize if I come across as a complete **bleep** when it comes to computer jargon but I'm still in the "intermediate at best" phase of my computer knowledge.

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8230 with a 4G data card that I can't use, because I cannot connect my blackberry to the computer!  It's plugged in with the USB cable, and the device charges, but the Desktop software never recognizes the device.  It doesn't say "a new device has been added", and the Desktop software just says "Please connect your device".  My husband has a blackberry that seems to connect no problem.

I wondered if there were issues connecting 2 devices to the same computer, so I connected my blackberry to my laptop and still no dice.

I've taken my BlackBerry to the Telus store, and they have no issues with connections.  They upgraded the software on the BlackBerry for me but it still refuses to connect to the computer.

What am I doing wrong?  This is a fresh computer with a brand new download of Desktop software (just downloaded the other day).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm getting rather annoyed at this point.

Thanks everyone!!!

Catheirne

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CatherineInCanada

Re: Can't connect to Device Manager (Desktop Software)

Wow, sorry everyone, it appears that the forum bleeped out a very benign word posted in the first sentence... I'm not a profane person, I swear! :-)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi non-profane  intermediate user and welcome to the forums! :smileyvery-happy:

The problem is usually fixed with having the correct device driver. Can you tell us please

what type computer (MAC/Windows) you use, the operating system and the version of

desktop manager?

The article below is the "top 10) reasons for connection errors, just click on the link.

Thanks,

Bifocals

BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CatherineInCanada

Hi Bifocals... thanks for your response and thank you for your help in advance!

Your link got me at least on the right track; it appears that no driver for BlackBerry is on the Universal Serial Bus Drivers tab. 

So I guess the next question becomes... seeing as I don't seem to be able to find the original CD that came with my BlackBerry, can I download the driver from the Blackberry site?  I did a search but seem to be going around in circles...

Again it's the Pearl Flip 8230.

Thanks again!!

Catherine

Oh and PS I'm using Windows XP Home Edition 2002.  The version of the Desktop Software I downloaded is 6.0.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Open desktop manager and in the right corner click the down arrow and select support resources

installed. Please post the device software listed.

Now escape back to the list, scroll down to About desktop software.

Click on details of installed components and  post back what you have listed.

So we 'keep the peace' between Blackberry users :smileywink: what model  and what device OS is on your husbands device. On each device find the options icon, the click>scroll to About> (format is vX.X.X.XXX)

Do you have the desktop manager manual?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
slbkeefe
My Device: pearl 8230
My Carrier: verizon

I am having the same problem and have done a hard reset on my phone and uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop manager. I have a blackberry pearl 8230 with v 4.6.1.309 and desktop softwear 6.0.0.43. It worked fine last week and now it says that I need to connect my deviece. My device is plugged in and charges but the two cannot recognize each other. My webroot software updated last week - could that be it. What can I do? HELP PLEASE!

Please use plain text.