Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
Anitadb
My Device: Pearl 3G

Device locked

Hi, I have had strange thing happening today.  I looked @ pics on my phone, then locked the keypad as usual by holding down the left bottom key.  Put back into my pocket and moments later, when I wanted to use it again, it said device locked and it asked me for a PIN!!  I have never activated the password/pin protected key pad lock! 

I just normally do the "quick key pad lock", that you unlock by pressing the "Play/Pause" button on top of phone.

So what happened?? More importantly how do I unlock my phone again!! I definitely did not set it to ask for  a PIN when unlocking the device.  So how could this have happened? What am I to do?

Thnx!

Please use plain text.
Developer
m4a4
My Device: BB Q10

Re: Device locked

What do you mean by PIN lock? If it locks it should ask to "unlock"...

I've never heard of a device locking on its own... It should always notify you if it requires you to create a password to lock it.  It sounds more like someone got a hold of it and is playing a prank on you.

But other than that there are a few things you can try:

-Hook it up to device manager and see what happens

-type in "blackberry"

Remember that after 10 tries and it completely ERASES the phone

New Contributor
Anitadb
My Device: Pearl 3G

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Firstly: the phone was in nobody else's hands from last time I used it, till when I discover it was locked.  When from my phone was used to  last viewed a picture, did "quick" keypad lock, put in my pocket and about 4 minutes later wanted to use it , and found it locked!

Also I only got 3 tries!! (Three!) and already used 2, so now am between rock and hard place! My  niece also use PIN lock and also said should have 10 tries! Also confirmed that it quite lenght process to actaully active a PIN protected device lock and that it should first ask you to select a PIN etc.

Maybe I should explain exactly what it does:

1) Got picture of padlock in right bottom corner of screen (was never there before)

2) Got my name in left top corner (was never there before)

3) Then when I press any buttom, a window pops up that says Device locked (with picture of padlock), then 3 buttons: Unlock, Emergency and cancel.

4) If I select Unlock, then it asks, Enter PIN code (3 left). Although now it shows only 1 attempt left!.

Since it happened, I have alsp not received any calls, messagas or e-mail and have no signal.  Normally ifdevice is locked, then I should be able to receive calls.  not so?

So now I am wondering if it does not have something to do with my SIM card.  That it is asking me to put in my SIM PIN code?  But the phone was not switched off.

OK the with the BB device manager on the pc, I connected no problem then did full back-up no problem!  So at least now if I loose all data on phone, I have it backed-up on pc!! Phew!!

What do you think I should to next?

Please use plain text.
Developer
m4a4
My Device: BB Q10

Ok, so you might only have the 3 tries because you can specify how many in the security options...

And as long as you didn't wait the lockdown time someone could've set up hours before, it still somewhat sounds like that...

So I looked at another thread and this sounds similar to your problem:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/How-to-enter-my-PIN/td-p/384304

Your call. Maybe try following the solution if it does sound like your situation, and if it doesn't work pray that your backup doesn't have the same problem :smileytongue:

Good Luck!

(I suggest sliding out your media card if you have one since it will try wiping that too. Hopefully thats not required in the device while unlocking...)