Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
martynn
My Device: 8220 Pearl

Email on a 8220

Hi, I've just bought an unlocked 8220 Pearl, and when I try to set up email when using the Set-up Wizard, the only optioni presented is 'I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server'. But, I don't. All I want to be able to do is send and receive emails from my personal Gmail account. Am I missing something here?

Any help gratefully received.

Martynn

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Email on a 8220

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given your purchase method, there may be many issues causing your situation...

1. Your BB is not actually unlocked, and remains locked to some other carrier, and will not work at all on your chosen carrier...refer:
  2. Your BB is not compatible with the carrier network on which you are attempting to operate it...you must ask your carrier these very specific questions:
    • Will you allow my specific 8220 to fully function for all BB-proprietary services on your network?
    • Is my specific 8220 fully compatible with your network for automatic HRT registration and automatic delivery of Service Books?
  3. Your BB was not properly "cleansed" and released from some other carrier BIS system...refer:
    • KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone
  4. You have not yet subscribed, from your carrier, to a data plan adequate to deliver the services you desire
    • To use the proprietary BB services (including Push email capability, BBM, etc.), you must have an adequate data plan from your carrier. The carriers host BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) for their BB users. Typically, BIS is not available via generic data plans. Many carriers call what is necessary The Blackberry Data Plan. Whatever they call it, it is the carrier who delivers BIS to their BB users -- contact them for assistance. Once you have a Push-email enabled BIS-capable data plan on your BB (at whatever fees your carrier will charge, btw), your BB-proprietary services will function (e.g., you will have Personal/Internet Email added to the email setup wizard, your BBM will function, etc).
    • With hundreds of carriers in the world, each with dozens of different data plans, it's impossible to tell you specifically what any service plan might actually provide. Only the carriers can answer that question. The best thing to do is to decide what services you desire, and then talk to your carrier about obtaining (from them) a data plan that enables what you desire.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
martynn
My Device: 8220 Pearl

Many thanks for your reply.

First of all, the 8220 I've bought is new, and following the instructions you supplied, I can confirm that it is unlocked.

Although I don't have a data plan with my carrier, I was hoping to access my Gmail account using the Wifi hotspots at work, and the Wifi network at my home.

The 8220 has detected these networks, and connected to them. However, the 8220 seems reluctant to display a web page (Google), claiming it's 'Unable to find the requested server', but maybe 1 time every 5 attempts it will find Google. Dispite this connection, there appears to be no option to set up and access my accounts.

Forgive my ignorance regarding BB's, this is my first, and all I want it to be able to do is call, text, and receive my emails via the Wifi connections, not use a data plan. Maybe I was too ambitious.

Thanks again for your help.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

For email via the native email app, access to the BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) infrastructure is required, even if only used via WiFi. Hence, subscription to an adequate data plan is required so as to activate your BIS account and access. The native email app is not a full on-device email app; rather, it depends on access to BIS in order to provide email services...hence, the need to pay for a data plan to enable it.

On some older OS levels (OS5 and lower, as I recall), the native browser also won't function without an active data plan, even if via WiFi only. But, you can obtain a 3rd party browser (e.g., Opera) which can function via WiFi only. You can't, however, install it OTA (since you can't access anything) and instead need to use a PC and find the installer from Opera to install it to your BB via USB.

Still, those questions I mentioned need to be asked...if the TMO network does not natively support your specific BB model number, then even if you subscribe to an adequate data plan, their network won't be able to automatically register your BB and deliver the required Service Books so as to activate the services you subscribe to. There are very complicated tricks to try and get a non-native BB to function.

Newer BB models (those running BB10) have full on-device capabilities/apps (e.g., the email app is a full app) and only need a generic data plan to use them via the carrier data network (they don't use the BIS data plan specific to legacy BBs), and can also fully function via WiFi only for data-related services (e.g., if you buy a voice-only SIM/plan, you can do all data things via WiFi only).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code