Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) and Blackberry

I have a Pearl, 8130, with Verizon.  It is my first Blackberry and one major complaint I have is the lack of EMS.  I don't care about the little smiley faces and other random things that EMS allows for, but the ability to send text messages longer than 160 characters and for them go out as one long text message (but count as 2-10 against my text limit).  I routinely find myself truncating my text messages, or manually splitting them and sending them as two separate messages.  'Dumbphones' have had this ability for years, is there a reason that my Pearl cannot?  Thank you
Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) and Blackberry

That is a carrier restriction, not blackberry, I have ATT and can send up to ^ messages at once as one long message.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Contributor

Re: Re: Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) and Blackberry

I have Alltel and I also am limited to 160 my moto, same carrier, was not limited?
Forums Advisor III

Re: Re: Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) and Blackberry

A blackberry and a moto are quite different so RIM and Alltel would have to have an agreement worked out on the sms system.
Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) and Blackberry

Does that meen there's no way for me to change these "limits"on my bberry myself? Its completely a carrier issue?
Forums Advisor III

That is correct. I'm not even sure if your carrier can change it. But Alltel recently added MMS messaging. You can use this strictly for typing a message if you so choose, it can hold up to 1000 characters.
New Contributor

lorriem1222 wrote:
That is correct. I'm not even sure if your carrier can change it. But Alltel recently added MMS messaging. You can use this strictly for typing a message if you so choose, it can hold up to 1000 characters.

And I have done this a few times but that makes it a little hard to read for the people I am sending it to.  Some 'dumbphones' don't format the text on MMS messages very well.

Forums Advisor III

That's a good point!
New Contributor

Actually, I had the same issue and it's not carrier specific.  I have the Curve 8330, my husband has the Samsung Omnia and my son has the LG Env2 phone, all through Verizon.  I get the "field full" message once I reach 160 characters while composing the SMS, so I have to start a new message to type any more than that.  My husband can continue to type beyond 160 characters, but his phone alerts him that the message will be sent in separate messages, which is exactly how I receive them from his phone.  My son's phone, on the other hand, will allow him to type 160 characters per page, up to seven pages, before requiring him to start a new message and I receive the entire message, regardless of it exceeding 160 characters from his phone in one full message.  According to Verizon, there is no way to differentiate between the particular phones that have these features except to contact them and ask them specifically if the phone I'm interested in has "enhanced messaging" features.