Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

File Explorer

Hi,

Isn't there any file explorer available in 8100 to to view the files stored in memory card or the device?

I mean, if I want to explore the files stored in my memory card or device, how would I do it?

Thanks,

- Rohan 

Contributor

Re: File Explorer

First you have to install the Desktop Manager. If you have the disk that came with your device that would be best because you are assured that version is supported by your carrier. Otherwise you can download the latest version and earlier versions here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22
Either way, once installed you will have the correct USB drivers for your BB and will be able to browse your media card using windows explorer. Also if you are going to use the DTM to manage your BB, make sure you turn on Mass Storage Mode Support by going to Settings > Options > Media Card. In addition, in the same menu I would say yes to Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected so it will not prompt you every time you connect.
An alternate method if you don't want to go through all of this and you have a media card reader, is to take the card out of your phone and put it in the card reader. The down side to that is that continually inserting and extracting the card will eventually wear it out and it's more hassle in my opinion.

Developer

Hi av8ing,

Thanks for the reply. But I don't want to connect my phone to the computer just to explore my files. I am asking if there is any file explorer in the device itself. Can't I view my files which are stored in the memory card or device without connecting it to the computer? 

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800

There is no file explorer option in BlackBerry the way you find it other devices. But you can chcek how much space is consumed by the type of files/items in your device. To check this go to Options -> Status -> click Menu and select Database Sizes. To check the files stored in either phone/memory card you have go to media application and check files based on media types

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Developer

Oh, What ???

BlackBerry doesn't have a file explorer !!!  :smileysurprised:

I never knew that. But it's really shocking that a phone is not having any tool to explore its contents!

Anyway, thanks for the info Tanzim. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: 8310

Select the media icon then press the BlackBerry button the select explore. It will let you see what is on your device memory and what is on your media card. This may only be available with OS 4.3 or greater.
Developer

OS 4.2.2.x also supports this feature.
If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)

Yes, in fact, i was doing the same to explroe the files. But that's kind of workaround, NOT a complete file explorer. I wonder why they are not providing an explorer. Kinda strange!

Anyway, thanks for the response. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: 8310

What are you looking for in a file explorer? I have found by going to media>explore you can see all of your files and do just about anything you want with them. It just doesn't have it's own homepage icon.
Developer

I think you are not reading the previous replies. I have already mentioned that I know it can be done by going to media>explorer

- Rohan