Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
evensenm
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Help! Messages vanishing but still occuping memory on my 8100. Plus other weird things (poss. data corruption?)

[ Edited ]

(Reposting this question under a new subject.  Sorry about being wordy)

Although now I'm beginning to take back part of my previous reply and am wondering if there's something wrong with my phone.  I've had messages and call logs being deleted or vanishing long before I would've ever thought low memory would've been an issue (I didn't have many 3rd party apps and all my media is saved on the media card instead of device memory) and it would always be ALL of my unsaved messages and phone logs, not just some of them.  But even though the messages have vanished, they still seem to be there somehow as they're still occupying memory, and I've noticed in my device backups that the number of messages and saved messages keeps going up disproportionately, and never goes down, even when I delete messages..  And when I lose my messages and restore from backup, the "vanished" messages continues to account for part of the total number of messages and all gets re-backed again on the next backup.  I'll admit, I had over 1200 email messages in there at one point (keep messages set to forever) but the backup size and database size showed over 4800) and yesterday after doing a few backups/restores trying to clean things up and after deleting a bunch of old messages, I'm now down to about 400 actual messages (keep now set to 3 mos), but the database and backup has suddenly grown to over 10000 messages.  It now takes over an hour to restore a backup, and the database size is continuing to grow at an astronomical rate.  To be exact, my database sizes currently show (personal info removed).8K for Messages, and (personal info removed).9K for Saved Email Messages.  And even as I delete and clean up, file free keeps shrinking, now at 1,958,128 bytes before reboot and 4,715,428 bytes immediately after reboot.  Before cleaning up I had about 6MB file free after reboot.  All my media is stored on media card, and my applications total aprox. 4MB, but my last backup's file size is about 9.2MB!

Four other weird things of note:

1) (somewhat related): SMS messages that were on my SIM card before installing into my BlackBerry now appear garbled up.

2) (unrelated): Own phone # stored on SIM has extra random digits at the end, but didn't have them when it was installed in my previous phone.

3) (maybe related): When doing a full restore, the email and web browser apps disappear completely, only to come back at some random time perhaps days later.  Reboot sometimes fixes this, but not always.

4) (maybe related to backups): The last time I did a full restore, the "owner" information was suddenly gone (had to selectively restore from a different backup).  Never happened before.

Any ideas/suggestions/solutions?

(sorry for this being long, but I'm just wondering if there's something wrong with my phone, or if it's something I'm doing wrong)

P.S. I have a Pearl 8100, v4.2.1.107 (Platform 2.3.0.83)

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Help! Messages vanishing but still occuping memory on my 8100. Plus other weird things (poss. data corruption?)

Hi evensenm,

To rule out any software issue that may be causing this, please try to back up your data and perform a clean reload of your BlackBerry® Device Software. For further instructions, please see the following KB articles.

For Windows®: "How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software for Windows" http://bbry.lv/GI9beY
For Mac: "Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer" http://bbry.lv/J0UN1U

Please try to restore the least amount of data possible from your backup file to help avoid a recurrance of the issue.

Hope this helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
evensenm

Re: Help! Messages vanishing but still occuping memory on my 8100. Plus other weird things (poss. data corruption?)

Reset didn't work. Upon selecting the "Reset" button in the Desktop Software (following the instructions in the KB article) and answering "Yes" to the confirmation, it acts like it's starting to do something but then just a few seconds later, it tells me that an error occured in resetting the device (no specifics as to what the error was), and nothing is reset. Even tried doing this immediately after rebooting the device.
Please use plain text.
FrankieS

Hi evensenm,

Since you were unable to reload the BlackBerry® Device Software this way, you may want to try the steps in one of the following KB articles to force a connection so you can reload the BlackBerry® Device Software.
If you are using a Windows® computer: http://bbry.lv/L13o3O
If you are using a Mac: http://bbry.lv/NtreH7

Please note that this process will remove all data from your BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8100 smartphone.

Thanks.

-FS

Please use plain text.
Contributor
evensenm

This procedure worked to clear up the memory issue, but SMS messages on the SIM card still appear garbled and own phone # still has extra digits at the end, even before restoring any backups. I put the SIM card into an older phone (from 10 years ago), and everything appears fine there. I got the SIM in 1998, so I don't know if it's a compatibility issue or not.

I still had problems with the web browser disappearing when restoring the backup. It seems like restoring "Service Book" causes this problem. Also still have problems with some data (like the owner information) randomly missing/disappearing when restoring a backup. It appears like the problem is in the backing up and not the restoring, as I always have to restore it selectively from a different backup.

Also a new issue. When trying to use media sync in the desktop software (tried v6+ and v7+), it no longer recognizes that there's a media card present. Only gives me "Device" as an option. This happened maybe a week before I reinstalled the device software, but even after doing so, and before restoring any backups, the desktop software still doesn't show "Media Card" as an option. This is true regardless of whether mass storage mode is turned on or off. The phone recognizes the card just fine. I did at one point have media card encryption turned on and later turned it off, but even after deleting all encrypted media, I still had the problem. Even tried a different media card and reformatted it, and desktop software still didn't recognize it. Also, if I try to use "Device" instead of "Media Card", it always says there isn't enough memory, even when I've got lots of memory free (17MB+).

As far as the messages just disappearing and still taking up memory, only time will tell if this this starts happening again.

Sorry for the length and the long time to reply; I was wiping and reinstalling multiple times, and trying and testing different things to rule things out, but still having problems.

Please use plain text.
FrankieS

Hi evensenm,

It sounds like something in the backup file(s) may be causing the issue with the browser and with your owner information disappearing. Regarding the issue with the media card, does your computer recognize the media card and the BlackBerry® Desktop Software not detect it, or do both not detect it? Have you also tried reinstalling the BlackBerry® Desktop Software and testing?

Thanks.

-FS

Please use plain text.
Contributor
evensenm

The computer recognizes the media card just fine when mass storage mode is turned on, but the desktop software doesn't recognize it regardless of whether mass storage mode is turned on or off. I've tried the "forget device" option, the "restore defaults" option, completely uninstalling the desktop software including removing registry entries and user settings, and then reinstalling it from scratch, and it still won't recognize the media card. I don't know if having media card encryption turned on and then later turning it off is what caused the problem, but even after deleting all encrypted media from the card, trying a different media card and reformatting it, and doing a complete reinstall of the device software and not restoring any backups, the Desktop Software still does not recognize the media card.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
evensenm

I think I got the media card issue resolved.  So far, haven't had any messages vanish.  I'll try to reload the OS again and restore fewer things from the backup to clean things up a little bit.  Still don't know why the SIM card SMS messages or why my own phone # appeared garbled, but it's not a serious issue (just still curious as to why).  Kudos for the detailed information on reloading the OS.  I' will presumably consider the problem solved.

Please use plain text.