Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
Acelevens
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Hoursgalss, slow, SMS deletion

For the last week or so, my Alltell 8130 has been deleting my text message and call histories. Annoying, but I was able to ignore that.

For the last two days however, the phone has processed things extremely slow, constantly putting up the hourglass icon, and basically stalling for several seconds at a time on functions ranging fromtrying to check text / call logs, to opening the internet browser, to checking email, even incoming/ outgoing calls. Half the time the phone doesn't hang up for 1- 20 secodns after I hit the end call button.

Does it need a software update or something? Nothing was changed settings wise, and the only change in typical use is that I started browsing the web and checking emails more frequently on the phone.

Any help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Hoursgalss, slow, SMS deletion

Low, low device memory.

First thing? Check the File Free at Options > Status, what is the number at File Free? Now, remove the battery of your device, hold a minute, replace and reboot. What is the File Free now?

Read this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/116396-managing-your-bb-memory-lost-ca...

And this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-losing-call-logs-sms-emails-opt...

Additional links to read:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15345&sliceId=SAL_Pub...
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14320&sliceId=SAL_Pub...
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB14213&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Acelevens

Think it was a memory issue. When I checked it, it said 0. After the reboot and removing the stuff in the first link you provided, its not showing around 15.5 available.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Good deal.

15MB file free is good. Keep it around there. A weekly battery pull reboot will manage the memory to a great extent, then look back at the other links in the post if you need more help.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
donniccolo

I'm disappointed that the forums keep marking the "hour glass" issue as "solved." 

I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE POST THAT SOLVES THIS AWFUL PROBLEM!!

All of the posts seem to refer to 1) low memory and 2) applications installed yet my Pearl has 13mb memory free, all media saved to card, and only 2 "third party apps" (VZ Navigator and SyncJE)

Pulling my battery does nothing other than buy me some time...from a few minutes to an hour or so, but the hour glass keeps coming back.

And NONE of these posts address the fact that the device also stops receiving email when this problem occurs.

In reading the forums, it seems that this is a VERY COMMON PROBLEM yet there are nothing but a bunch of fake solutions.

Does anyone have a real solution other than "get a new device" or "stop using Blackberry'?

Thanks- 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AlanGuggenheim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I totally agree with you. When are they going to fix these memory management issues?

On the Bold, there is 1GB of memory, yet only 128MB of it available for Applications and data! And it is loosing about 3-5MB a day.

Please use plain text.