Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Visitor
Joschka222
My Device: Not Specified

JVM Error 517

So.. I was texting and having conversations this morning and my phone suddenly tells me JVM Error 517 "Reset".  I click the reset button and it continuously comes back to the same screen with the white background.

Any help?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
bba
My Device: Not Specified

Re: JVM Error 517

Try these things:

1. A battery pull. Remove the battery for about 3 minutes.

2. Read this article on how to reload the system: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

-Fabian

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

FWIW - here is the official RIM KB on the error...same resolution as already recommended:

KB10875 JVM Error 517

Good luck and keep us informed!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Danlong72
My Device: 8310 & 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

I know this is an old posting but i thought i would provide an update. If you are using AT&T they recommend a warranty exchange as they state this is one of the JVM errors that will not correct by reloading the OS.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaloz
My Device: 8120
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless Inc

It actually has been seen to correct the situation.

Though what hardware related JVM Errors sometimes mean is that the underlying issue that caused it might not go away. Rather - it might resurface again in the future.

By taking a look at BTSC site for JVM 517 it results in two hits - Hardware related JVM errors and JVM 517 is displayed on the blackberry smartphone.

So - you can get the handset back up and running from a JVM 517 - and after recovering one myself I haven't seen any further issues in I think it has been over 2 months now.

Hoping i can ride it out - then tell my Service Provider I have a hardware related JVM and trick them into warranty exchanging an almost 1yr old device :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
mshirleyb
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: vodafone

Vodafone just told me to send it back. The problem I have is that I had recently put some important contact information on the phone and did not geT an opportunity to back up. My PC will now no longer recognise that the BB is connected, is there anyway to manually retrieve this information?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
watzitooya
My Device: Blackberry Curve 3G 9300
My Carrier: XL

[ Edited ]

hi, so i connected my blackberry when Communication Port Selection window pops up, but instead of showing USB-PIN:UNKNOW it shows USB-PIN:*my PIN number*. and then i clicked Next and it just loads for a very long time.

I do, however, tried to redo it again but this time it doesnt show any USB-PIN: UNKNOWN. 

please help :smileysad:

thank you!

Please use plain text.
crmoore
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

[ Edited ]

So the BlackBerry textbook that I am studying for the BES Cert says this for error 517: Contact your service provider.

It also says it is a hardware/ software error, ensure you have the right data package installed and are getting a data signalIf Yes, then, this error indicates a BB device has a corrupt file system and needs to have BlackBerry Device Software installed using the application loader tool.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
craigashy
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Orange/EE. UK

While the error message is on screen, plug it into Desktop Manager and when it say can not connect to device, it will give you 3 options, click the Update option to reload the software back onto the phone.
Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
If this post helps you please click the LIKE below the post(s)
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
domina_sesa_jecka
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9105, BlackBerry Curve 9220

You may contact your service provider so they can help you with backing up your data as well as the software reload on the device. It is always recommended to get the latest device software from the carrier's website.

Once you downloaded the device software, use the AppLoader to push the update to the device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join me on my BBM Network as well as BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: 2A5706AD
Twitter: @sesa_jeckieboo | @i_am_jecka
WeChat: Sesa_Domina_Jecka | i_am_jecka
Please use plain text.