Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Trusted Contributor
dippergirl
My Device: Rogers Pearl 8110 OS v4.3.0.93
Accepted Solution

Low memory question...urgent!

I'm having some problems with low memory. Earlier this evening, I tried to download an mp3 file which, it turned out, was too large to download. I noticed about an hour later that my memory had gone from just under 18KBs to just around 13KBs -- and now I'm getting the little hourglass icon a LOT. My BB is getting quite sluggish.

The file I tried to download, obviously, did not get downloaded. What's eaten up so much memory? Where did it go? How do I get it back? I tried pulling the battery -- twice.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :smileyhappy:

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~ Oscar Wilde
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Low memory question...urgent!

If you go into Options | Status, hit the menu button and choose Database Sizes. What's the largest database? If it's the Content Store that contains the media files stored on the BlackBerry memory.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Trusted Contributor
dippergirl

Yeah, that's the largest one...it says 53/8896.7

~ Oscar Wilde
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Does your device support Micro SD Card?

If so - save your mp3 files to Micro SD Card, instead of saving to device memory.

And check the links below. There is information - how to optimize memory on your BB device.

Maximize memory and battery life

Optimize BB memory

Elite I
jmrmb80

[ Edited ]

OK. Means there's 53 media files. If you go into your media icon do you have any you can place on your SD card (if you have one)?

Other files you can delete, like the Sample Video to free up some more memory.

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 12-04-2008 01:42 AM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Trusted Contributor
dippergirl

Well, here's the thing -- I do have a Micro SD card, and that's where *all* my mp3 files are...but I'm not sure what happened with that file that I attempted to download...

There's other stuff in the device memory, but no mp3s.

~ Oscar Wilde
Elite I
jmrmb80

Check the device memory by going into Media, then hit your Menu button, and choose Explore. Check under

/Device Memory/home/user foreach of the folders (Documents, Music, etc) to see if you find the one that was downloaded.

Elite I
jmrmb80

Oh forgot to mention to check this too. When explorering the Device Memory you can select a folder, hit the menu button, and choose Properties to see the size of the folders. See if the total numbers add up to the ~8MB that you put down earlier
Trusted Contributor
dippergirl

I found the (partial) file! It was under "ringtones"...so I deleted it, and my memory is back above 17 again. Thank you!

One question, completely unrelated to the issue that I posted about -- while I was exploring the media files, I discovered a number of picture files with the suffix .obml -- I'm unable to view them. What are these files?

~ Oscar Wilde
Elite I
jmrmb80

Hmmmm....Do you have Opera Mini?

http://filext.com/file-extension/OBML

http://my.opera.com/opera.mini/forums/topic.dml?id=234030