Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
rekabis

Mute button mutes PERMANENTLY - help!!

I have a blackberry pearl flip 8230

Had a call yesterday morning, but couldn't pick up, and to let it ring would have been very rude to my environment, so I pressed the mute key on the outside of the unit to silence it.

Since then, MY PHONE WILL NOT RING, and I CANNOT figure out how to "un-mute" the phone!!

This means that I am missing a LOT of phonecalls simply because I don't look directly at my phone's screen 24/7

Switching the phone to vibrate does cause it to vibrate during a call, however. But this doesn't help me unless I hold it in my hands, which I don't do 24/7 either.

Pressing the mute button again (an OBVIOUS EXTRAPOLATION to UN-mute it) does NOT un-mute it. Why?? This is the OBVIOUS, LOGICAL method!! The undoing of any action should ALWAYS be the REVERSE of its originating action!

I currently have the phone on "loud", with the ringer at full volume.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rekabis

Re: Mute button mutes PERMANENTLY - help!!

I should also point out a very annoying additional issue: ever since I managed to PERMANENTLY MUTE my  phone (with no OBVIOUS way of un-muting it), my phone will produce "beeps" at random, but only when I am using the keyboard, menus or scrollball. These beeps only occur at those times, and sound the same as the normal "using the buttons" notification beeps. The only problem is, they do not occur in any relationship to any action I am doing on the phone. Several have occured when I have had the phone flat in my palm, and I am doing nothing more than just looking at the screen. Once I close the phone, the beeps will stop. They will also not occur more than 10 seconds after the last button pushed.

I have even had the phone beep once or twice several seconds after laying it down on a table or other flat surface.

These beeps occur roughly proportional to how many keys I am pushing. For example, If I have moved through about six different screens (about 8 keypresses), the phone tends to beep "on its own" at least once during those 8 keypresses. The more keypresses, the more completely random and unsolicited beeps I experience from the phone.

Confused? You betchya. I have never experienced something like this before on a phone, and liken it to chinese water torture: you never know when the next drop will fall, and you go nuts waiting for it to fall.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

Did you try pulling out the battery to reboot the phone?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rekabis

Pulling out the battery to reboot the phone was the option that my (very helpful!) Telus rep suggested, and that did indeed work.

However, I am looking for a solution that does not require such a primitive and brain-dead hack to acheive. I mean, I can't just be yanking the battery every time I need to use the mute button...

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

What OS version are you running?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rekabis

Blackberry 8320 smartphone (CDMA) v4.6.1.182 (Platform 3.3.0.64)

I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

Have you checked to see if that is the most up to date cdma version available? I don't know since I'm not on a cdma network. This was the first time hearing of this type of problem, I use the mute button frequently on my 8220 and have never had that happen. Could also be some 3rd party software causing a conflict.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood

If the root of the problem can't be pinpointed then you could try using the down volume button which will send the call to voicemail.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mickeylee

My phone does the same thing!! And I'm ready to throw it out the window and never look back!  I'm on my thrid phone because they can't figure out what's wrong!  I've been told it s a memory thing...still does it and mine will happen 8 days after I get a new phone.  I don't download anything that could interferr and I've benn told that it must be me but no way!

Does yours shut off by itself too? and the only way to get things back is to reboot and we both know how long that takes!

Please use plain text.