Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 3G 9105
My Carrier: O2

Pearl 9105 trackpad problem

Hi, 

My trackpad keeps locking or sticking and stops me from moving either up or down or left to right. Most  times if I turn my phone off and on again it solves the problem. However I have had to do that 3 times today and I'm a little cheesed off! Should I contact my carrier to get it checked? Its only a month or two old

Thanks!

Contributor
My Device: Pearl 9105 3G
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Pearl 9105 trackpad problem

Hi - Does it behave like that only when you're using particular applications?

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 3G 9105

Hi smccullagh

No it is often when I am on the front screen or when choosing the app I want to open. At others it has been in e-mails, sms and map apps.

I have't seen a pattern. I'm thinking of just taking it back as it doesn't seem to be a common problem on the forum

Contributor
My Device: Pearl 9105 3G
My Carrier: Orange UK

[ Edited ]

Isn't something I've encountered with mine. The only other thing is you might want to try clearing down the memory or perhaps a full reset (battery pull) as it might be memory related latency. Otherwise, I'd agree it's just a dodgy phone!

Good luck!

Stephen

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 9105
My Carrier: Telstra

Got the same problem.  And hard resets don't work either.  Besides my unit hard resets itself about 3 times a day.

How do I clean down the memory?

My Device: Blackberry Pearl 9105
My Carrier: Vodafone

There seems to be a design or manufacturing fault with the trackpad on the BB Pearl 9105.

I have just experienced the exact same faults which others in this thread have described:

On the front Main Menu screen the trackpad no longer works for volume control, and I cannot scroll down the call log, or main menu, or use it to select predicted text options.

I have just returned the unit to Vodafone, and am shocked and annoyed to have received their reply today that their engineers have decided this fault is due to user damage, and therefore not repairable !

Unbelievable, and just plan wrong.

I have tried all the usual things like removing the battery and sim card to perform a system reset, but the same faults persist. After experiencing this issue I learned from my 20 yr old daughter that some of her network of friends have had similar Pearl trackpad problems - that it is a "known issue", so they no longer use them. That's a great shame because it is a great device when it works. 

Can someone from Blackberry tell us how to get this fixed please ?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telstra

I took my phome back to Telstra and they replaced it immediately under warranty - no questions asked so obviously it is a known issue.  If Telstra replaces it first go without any quibbles it's got to be a known issue.

I suggest you go back to Vodafone and demand they replace it as it is a known issue - although no one will admit it.  If you are in Australia there are statutory warranties which they must comply with and one of those is that your phone is not of merchantable quality and they must replace it.  Also read your paperwork because I understand there is a 2 year warranty on Pearls.

I had the same problem, from the login screen I could not scroll down to any other option but the 'Unlock' button and navigation was limited. But scrolling down within the email application worked fine.

But for me; I solved it.

Check the buttons on the very top of the phone. The Play\pause, skip forward, skip back buttons.

|<<  >||  >>|

Can you press and unpress all of these buttons? For me the button was held down by the casing (perhaps from an earlier small fall) on the right hand side. By releasing the button (pushing back the casing) on the top of the phone the trackpad problem was resolved. So check the buttons on the top of the phone and not the tracker-pad as a potential source to the problem.

To experience the problem, (i.e. for Blackberry Support) just hold down any one of the buttons on top of the phone and then try and use the phone.

My Carrier: Orange

Doc76 - you are a legend.  Have just been arguing with Orange about this issue - 18 months into a 2 year contract and they wouldn't replace the phone as blackberry warranty only lasts for 12 months.  Found your suggestion and bingo!  Same issue with my phone.  Will be binning Orange and blackberry when my contract is up

My Device: blackberry pearl 9105
My Carrier: virgin media

Hi, I am experiencing similiar problems with my Blackberry Pearl trackpad, like you. Except, mine doesn't work at all. It won't scroll or click, it's completely useless. I am having to navigate by using the keypad which is irritating and time consuming. I've had my blackberry for over a year now, but I was hoping that my phone would last alot longer than just a year. I've tried switching my phone on and off, I've tried rebooting my phone, I've tried removing the sim card and blowing the metal plate- none of the usual tricks work anymore. Please help!