Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
swordfishj360
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Pearl Flip 8220: checking SMS crashing phone intermittently + semi permanent shutdown/freeze

Hi,

My carrier is t-mobile.

The first problem occurred using the original and current t-mobile sactioned firmware.  (Application Version: 4.6.0.180)

It happened on the weekend 2 days after I got the phone.  It was in my pocket.  I took it out to check the time and pressing the side buttons didn't turn on the outer screen.  So I opened it and the inner screen didn't come on either.  Then I tried hitting the power button, no power.  I tried holding the power button for a while still no power.  So I had to perform a hard reset by pulling the battery.  As expected it went through the long boot up process and worked after that.

In hopes of solving the first problem.  I searched online for answers and found newer but not sanctioned by t-mo firmware.

The first one I installed was Application Version: 4.6.0.236

I haven't had the shutdown problem since but I have been having an intermitent crash when I try to check text messages.  It happened once with Application Version:4.6.0.236 which was running for 2 days.  3 days ago I loaded Application Version 4.6.0.222.  It happened while I was using this version as well.

Problem description:

In the home screen, I highlight the messages icon and click it.  The wait icon pops up and stays up until I close the phone.  Then if I open the phone back up the screen is white except for a strip at the top that contains the battery and connectivity icons.  To return the phone to a functional state I perform a hard reset by pulling the battery.  When it returns the text that I received is gone.

I've received a total of 5 texts in this time period.  I don't know what 40% of my received texts said.  That is unacceptable.

I really like the phone's text input and wi-fi calling ability.  I want to keep it but will not if I these problems aren't fixed before my exchange period is up.  It ends in 6 days.

Does anyone have any idea if these are hardware or software problems?  Maybe I have a faulty phone?

I'm currently planning to going back to the original firmware.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood
My Device: BB 8220 & BB 8900

Re: Pearl Flip 8220: checking SMS crashing phone intermittently + semi permanent shutdown/freeze

Hi swordfishj360, as for the text message problems many users that updated past 4.6.0.180 had that problem. That is why I stay with 180. So to answer your question, most likely software. I also had my phone shutdown once as yours did about two weeks ago. I got my phone in October when it came out and that was the only problem I have had. That was due to software that I downloaded, once it was removed all was back to normal. There have been posts of phones rebooting multiple times a day, don't know what the issues were. If it only happened once to you then it may have been a glitch in the OS or software or theme that was installed.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trishici

Re: Pearl Flip 8220: checking SMS crashing phone intermittently + semi permanent shutdown/freeze

Hello, I have had similar problems with my Flip.

I purchased my first Flip in January. I found that the battery, when fully charged, would only last for 3-4 days maximum. This is with Bluetooth/WiFi turned off and with virtually no use, but an occasional text message. T-Online here in Germany tried issuing me another battery. When that did not remedy the problem, I was given a new Flip. The battery power meter would accurately show that battery's draining.

With my new phone (obtained in March), I think the battery meter is perhaps inaccurate (perhaps it shows the phone has having a full charge or mostly full charge, but then it mysteriously turns off). Though the new phone holds a charge longer than 3-4 days, it has turned off 3 times, even when its meter registered an almost full charge just hours before. Twice, I was able to wake it up only by recharging it. (In those cases, I could not turn it on by using the power button.)

Today, it again unexpectedly turned off. I was only able to turn it on by removing the battery and waiting for it to restart.

This is my first Blackberry and I'm understandably frustrated. Anyone else have similar problems?

Is there an actual Blackberry email address to which I can write for technical support?

In non-techy terms, can you explain where I could go online to download updates, if necessary?

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
knitch

If you have 6 days left, this is what I would do. Reload the original OS, and take the phone in, and exchange it. Then stop putting OS software on it that isn't TMobile. See if you still have a problem after that. You might also try separating the mail and SMS boxes. Options to do that Are under messages-options-general config.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
zwood
My Device: BB 8220 & BB 8900

You can update your OS online at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/update/. You will need to have your phone connected to the computer before clicking the start button. As for your battery life that's close to normal.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
swordfishj360

The SMS problem was most likely caused by using a different firmware.  I reverted to the latest t-mo firmware and haven't had any more problems with SMSs.  The sales reps at the t-mobile outlet said using newer firmware wasn't a good idea because they were designed for different carrier's transmission protocals.

The shutdown/freeze happened a day after I revereted to the t-mo firmware but hasn't happened since.  I'm hoping it just happens a day after you load that firmware.  I might try reloading the firmware to see if I can repeat the shutdown/freeze.

Please use plain text.