Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
mike_coreit
My Carrier: Vodaphone
Accepted Solution

Phone crashes when connected via USB

Hi I have a Pearl 8120. There is an issue where the phone will crash if I connect it to certain PCs via USB.

When I say it crashes the screen goes blank, and the red light stays on. To recover from this point I have to unplug it and re-insert the battery.

Though for example if I connect it while the PC has not booted into Windows then it will not crash.

When I connect the phone via a charger cable it is also fine, and it never crashes on my own home PC.

Is there any way to resolve this?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS

Re: Phone crashes when connected via USB

Hi mike_coreit,

To rule out any software issue on your BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 smartphone that may be causing this, please try to back up your data using the BlackBerry® Desktop Software and perform a clean reload of your BlackBerry® Device Software. For further steps, please see the following KB articles.

For Windows®: "How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software for Windows" http://bbry.lv/GI9beY
For Mac: "Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer" http://bbry.lv/J0UN1U
Please test to make sure the issue has been resolved before restoring any data from your backup file.

Hope this helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
f0xx386
My Carrier: MTN - SOUTH AFRICA

Hello,

Question : Could it be that because it not crashing on his own pc is likely due that desktop manager is installed and blackberry usb drivers required were also installed along with it.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mike_coreit
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Hi it seems like too much effort to reload the blackberry software at this point.

Though I have resolved the issue by changing the option for 'Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected' to Prompt.

Please use plain text.