Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problems since firmware upgrade

I upgarded my Blackberry 8100 to the latest firmware last week and it run well for a couple of days - without issue.

I noted late on sat night, that my phone had seeme to have lost the themes and backgrounds I had setup and that it kept switching itself off.

I reset the themes on Sun but noted the device kept switching itself off every few minutes and the trackball was not working corectly.

When pushing down on th track ball to select, it didn't work and if I do it on the main screen, it goes to Call logs and types in W?

I have managed to stop the device from crashing, by disabling bluetooth, but have run out of ideas on what to do next.

Anyone had this before? or know what the issue is and can advise?

Solutions: 6,067
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problems since firmware upgrade

You don't state what firmware you upgrade to, that might help to know. 

Keyboard issues are often a symptom of moisture or liquid damage to the BB. Have you gotten it wet, or damp. Had it in the bathroom while in the shower?

Lost themes and backgrounds were deleted all by themselves? Now that is odd, not one I heard of.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

firmware is v4.5.0.52 and it's version 4.6 on the desktop.

The phone was in my pocket all night, so don't beleve the trackball issue is moisture.

I think it's a software issue on the phone, given that bluetooth when eabled is causing the unit to restart and run security checks every min or so.  The trackball fault is just part of it - I think. 

Is there a way to re-run a firmware update, as I think it needs to be flashed and restarted??

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800

You're so many TROUBLES!!!

First of all if these problems are occuring right after the OS migration then there must be some issue(s) while upgrading device OS. Again the OS you're upgrading is it released/accepted by your carrier? If they do then report the issue to your carrier immediately.

I never heard of 'Theme switching' issue!! IS it going to the default theme or some other theme? Regarding trackball issue...may be dirts are causing the trouble. In that case you may check this link Trackball Cleaning.

You can also consider reinstalling the device OS to get rid of the problem.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

How do I re-install the device OS?  It has to be software on the phone as the blue tooth crashing when enabled is the tell tale sign..  It's a company phone so I am trying to get in touch with the right department for either a replacement or call logged with the provider.