Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
gallhiser
My Device: Not Specified

Problems with recharging BlackBerry Flip

After three months of perfect performance, my 8230 Flip phone suddenly started having problems recharging.  The phone would not recharge from the ac power converter, the computer USB connector, or the car charger. Also, when I try to use the computer USB, the phone will not connect to the computer or BlackBerry Desktop Manager at all. By removing the battery and reinserting it, I have sometimes been able to get the phone to charge again, but this trick does not always work.  Sometimes I have had to go through the process four or five times before the battery will start to recharge.

Alltel has replaced my phone and I have also bought a new battery - but I still am having this problem with the new phone - whether it is using the old battery or the new battery.  A common way this problem crops up is that the phone will be down to maybe a 20% charge level, I will plug it into the ac converter, and the charge indicator will come on, stay on for maybe five minutes, and then go out.  Then the phone seems to suddenly and rapidly discharge, and I can't get it to accept any recharge until I go through the removal process a few times.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Have you found a solution or cause?  Thanks!!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problems with recharging BlackBerry Flip

So this is happening on even the new battery?

One, never let your battery deplete to a very low level, that is bad for the battery. Top it off when ever you can, even ten minutes here and there will work wonders and give you better battery life overall.

Does this happen on any of your charger... USB, wall or auto?

Try this... while it is charging sometime, remove the battery with it still connected to the charger, hold the battery a few seconds and replace it to reboot.  

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
tmorgan1000
My Device: Pearl Flip 8220

Re: Problems with recharging BlackBerry Flip

[ Edited ]

I don't know if it's the battery, the microUSB charge/data port, firmware or electronics ... but my 8220 Pearl Flip is now a BRICK! It's happened before that it dies and fails to light up when the charger or sync cable is plugged in but at some point battery re-insertion would start the charging. Either the Canadian engineers or the Mexican factory workers have messed up badly with this device. If it ever powers up, I'll try removing every app :smileysad:

As an experienced PC technician, I conclude that a BlackBerry Mini External Battery Charger might be the only solution until RIM provides a fix. Get a spare C-M2 battery unless you want to carry the external charger with you and don't mind waiting for it to build up a charge. I've just ordered both on Amazon.

Found these 3 posts:  ["I talked to a sales rep at TMobile about this, and she just said, "Well, just keep your phone charged and you won't have that issue." Hmmm, you think? My god, I charge my phone nearly every night, but I also use it a lot for work. If the battery gets low and I'm at work and still need to use it, then what? I've never had a phone where I couldn't just plug it in and keep using it. Very frustrating. Anyway, my question for people who already have the Flip is, does that phone have that issue, or is it possible to plug it in and use it, even if the battery indicates that it's low when you plug it in to charge? I'd hate to buy another phone that doesn't allow that."]

["I just got the 8220 flip two days ago. After charging, the battery lost more than 50% of the charge in less than 12 hours! I was told that this thing only needed to be charged ONCE A WEEK and that if it doesn't hold the charge, it needs to be sent back.... I am thinking that it's not just my flip that's defective, perhaps it's the whole product line."]

["I am having the same issue. About 10 hours of standby time. Even if I turn off all radios including the mobile network the phone is dead by the morning, every morning. This one is going back (I may try another, or just give up on the Flip)."]