Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
nuts65
My Device: BlackBerry 8220 Flip phone
Accepted Solution

Question regarding a 'clean reload' Tmobile phone, ATT service. Can I download ATT device software?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

phone: BB 8220(from Tmobile) it says Tmobile on the phone.

Provider: AT&T

info from inside the battery compartment;

PRD-17539-004 BlackBerry 8220   RBY41GW

ic:2503A-RBY40GW

BT MAC: 00 23 7A A5 75 79

I have done a lot of research and I have come to the conclusion that my BB is stuck in a reset mode. So I actually have one question, and also just want some re-assurance.

So first off, my BB started to reset itself, like it has done before,(turns off and restart, usually with-in a few minutes I'm good to go).  Well this time it did not come back to a usable state.

What it is doing; The red light turns on for about 3 seconds, then turns off. Then I get a white screen with a little clock on it for a couple seconds.  This is all it does over and over.

I have removed the battery,...did not fix the issue.

I have tried holding alt, cap button(also # button), and delete. ...did not fix the issue.

So I just want to know if a 'Clean Reload' is the correct step.

Second, here comes the question, I have at&t service. The BB I am using is from Tmobile. So I was wondering, since I am going to clean/erase the phone, can I download the at&t device software instead of the Tmobile device software.

All of the notes I have read say to contact your service provider, or check their website to download the BB Device software.

Any help will be appreciated. Also, Let me know if I need to provide more information regarding my phone.

Thanks

Edited to remove personal information

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Question regarding a 'clean reload' Tmobile phone, ATT service. Can I download ATT device software?

You are going to need to wipe the device completely first. 

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe

Once the device has a white screen and the error "507" you can load the new OS.  It makes no difference from what carrier you download the OS.  It's best to download the latest version for the device regardless of the carrier that released it.  Here is a link to the latest including instructions on how to reload it.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8200-series-discussion-kickstart/207696-latest-os-8220-4-6-0...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
nuts65

Re: Question regarding a 'clean reload' Tmobile phone, ATT service. Can I download ATT device software?

Thanks, That helped a lot. I have a couple follow-up questions, and I am not sure if I should add it to this thread, or start a new one. I am going to ask anyways, and if I am wrong in doing so, I apologize a head time, and I will re-post to a new thread as I am directed too.

So, with my 8220 in 'reset' mode(as detailed above), is it still possible to back-up, and save my personal information that is on the phone; contact, pics, video's, etc. 

I am most concerned with the contacts/phone numbers. I did not always save new contacts to the SIM card and there are a lot of numbers that I need for work.

Now with the phone in the current state, I am un-able to get the phone to turn on, hence I have no access to the phone book.

I have a couple idea's that I wanted to throw out there, and get some feedback and/or comments. If anyone knows a way to save the contacts that are saved to the phone please let me know.  Here are a a couple ideas/questions.

-Will I be able to back-up the contacts to my PC when taking the steps as described in above answer?

-I called at&t and they could not do any trouble shooting, or help me in any way because it is a Tmobile phone. So I was thinking that my girl friend has her service through Tmobile, Can I put in her SIM card and call Tmobile customer service so that they can trouble shoot, or manually back-up the contact that are saved to the phone?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

This same thread is a good place to ask follow up questions.

1. It might work, in reset mode, as you call it. It's according the level of disarray the installed OS on the device might be. It's unlikely, but you might get a backup done.

Or course it is more ideal to make the backup weekly, or so, just for this issue. Saving them to your SIM card is practically worthless (to most users) as the SIM card ONLY saves the contact name and phone number, one phone number per record, no email addresses, etc.

If you do the wipe and reload, you will not be able to save the contacts during the process.

Do you regularly backup the device using Desktop Manager, and/or sync your data to Outlook on your PC?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Actually, it's very doubtful you'll get your data back.  You can try during one of it's boot-ups to connect to it with Desktop Manager and get a backup made but the chances of that working are slim.  You should be making weekly backups with DM as suggested by Mr. Sanders. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
nuts65

I have never backed-up anything to my PC. To be honest, I have a Mac, and had issues downloading the the Blackberry software. But from the sounds of things, I am out of luck on getting the contacts. Well I am going to be taking the steps from the first answer to do a clean reload.

Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll be here quit abit for now on. your guys rock!

New Contributor
nuts65

I have a real quick question regarding the 'answered solved' button.

I read what I believe is your signature regarding giving 'kudos' and credit to the problem solver. So I gave a couple 'kudos', but it also says to click the 'question answered' button to the reply that answered my question.

I have not had a chance to go through the steps from the first reply(which I believe is the answer to my initial question) of cleaning, and downloading the software to my BB yet. So, should I wait to click the 'answered' button until I know it worked out okay? Or should give the credit right up front?

Thanks again,

Guru I
John_Clark

It's up to you.  There's no requirement to do so, it just helps others searching with a similar problem look for what worked for you.