Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
jessekedy
My Device: Not Specified

Red blinking light & phone is unresponsive (8100 Series)

I've had my Pearl for about 18 months and it's always been fairly reliable.

Yesterday it got wet for the first time (I suspect this may be the cause of the problem...).

Right away, I took out the battery and SIM card, dried the phone as best I could, and put the parts in a warm area.

Now all I'm seeing is a series of red blinking lights:

- blink, blink, blink (3 times, a half second pause, then)

- blink, blink (and a 2 second pause before it starts again)

I tried using a backup battery, and I tried it with and without the SIM card.

Does anyone know what this sequence of blinks means?

And, more importantly, how can I save my phone?? 

Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Re: Red blinking light & phone is unresponsive (8100 Series)

Have you made sure the device is getting a good charge?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
jessekedy

Thanks for responding. 

Yes, it gets charged every night and I even have a backup battery fully charged. It's in the cradle charger right now. 

It shows the same sequence of blinks (3-2-pause, 3-2-pause...) with or without a battery (and with either battery). 

New Contributor
jessekedy

Does anyone have any advice besides "don't let your phone get wet."?
bme_star

this is the same issue I've gotten with my 8110 after updating to 4.5

my phone will not power on... at all... the indicator light just blinks (as said in my post last night)

my fingers are crossed that I can mess with this enough to fix it.. :/

New Contributor
jessekedy

Well if you find a solution, or even an explanation, let me know...

I'll post a solution if I find one. 

New Contributor
hchishtie

I just had to face the problem which "BME_STAR" is facing last night. I googled around and found two ways to fix it. Solution number 2 worked for so please go ahead and give it a try.

Solution number 1  

http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

Solution number 2

http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe

Good Luck 

New Contributor
jessekedy

I hope this works for people.

Sadly, my phone only connects to my PC via Bluetooth. The USB port in my phone is missing a pin and it won't recognize the cable connection. I've been chareging it with a cradle and synching it wirelessly (that is, back when it was turning on).

Any way to do this maunally or without the cable connection. 

sailorgrl77
My Device: 8100 pearl

the three blinks, a pause, and two more.. don't know what the blink meant or why mine started.. I connect to computer via bluetooth and wasn't connected when it began. I came here for answers and very surprised bb doesn't have a tech rep providing help.  & phone charged full the night before..

anyway, followed advice to disconnect from battery and reconnect in certain order while plugged into wall socket.. tried a few times with a few minutes of complete 'no power' each time. the light would sometimes flash when only the wall plug was in with no sim or battery. I gave up and left it connected to the wall socket with sim and battery in and flipped it over so I wouldn't get annoyed seeing the blink. left it for 30 minutes and it still was flashing. stuck it in my pocket went to a friend's house and checked when I got there 10 minutes later. still flashing. threw it half way across the room (carpet floor) and it booted up fine. is on now and I'm not touching it until tomorrow. 

not suggesting anyone throw it, could break it, but it worked for me. likely in conjunction with topping up the battery. who knows. they're touchy.

dajadan
My Device: Blackberry 8100

I tried Solution 2 (it seems to make sense), but I could not get into Research in Motion on the C Prompt.  It will not find the file. 

What I noticed by going into Device Manager is that my PC will recognize my BB when the red light is on, but it will disappear from the list of devices when the red light is off.

When I try to load software from the Desktop Manager, the process will stop at step 3 of 6, when it comes to device initialization, and it will say "application loader unable to connect with device". 

Obviously has something to do with this flashing red light that connects and disconnects my BB from my PC every 3 seconds.

Do you have any suggestions?