Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

So many problems. Does REAL tech support exist?

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums and I would sincerely appreciate if someone could help me out.

I recently purchased a brand new Blackberry Pearl on eBay and when I received it, it was riddled with problems. I first opened it out of the package about a week ago and, despite some lagging, it worked fine. I put it back in the box until the day I went to activate it with my local provider. When I got there, I noticed that the phone wouldn't turn on so I thought that I had neglected to turn it off. Turns out the battery was messed up, so they were gracious enough to give me a new one. So it worked for a while as far as I could tell except for some lagging. Then, I tried calling my friends (to let them know my number and such) and then I noticed that the earpiece was broken so only speakerphone would work. I thought to myself, "Okay, I can deal with this, I suppose." But NOW, the bloody thing won't even turn on! I locked myself into a year-long contract with a phone that doesn't even work!

So my question to all of you is, how do I go about getting this fixed? I'm willing to pay for it but I can't seem to even talk to a human being at the Blackberry Company. There appears to be absolutely no technical support and I can't go to my service provider because I didn't buy the phone off them in the first place. I also tried contacting the eBay seller but to no avail.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME?
I will be so grateful if someone can give me a push in the right direction.

Cheers,
Ross

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: So many problems. Does REAL tech support exist?

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Caveat Emptor...buying 2nd hand continues to provide a ton of problems. And, given all the problems, I seriously doubt the sellers claim of "brand new"...

First -- Support -- support is purchased by the original buyer of the device and is attached to that person...not necessarily to the device. So, they cannot transfer their support. And, even if they can, it's my bet that none bother to -- leaving the buyer in a pickle, as you find yourself. But, the object of your wrath is, IMHO, improperly directed at RIM. If your lashing out is in general and, more specific, directed to the seller -- then that's good, because that's where it belongs. But, your choice of subject line seems to indicate that your wrath is directed toward RIM -- which, IMHO, is misplaced. Regardless, we'll try to help you in this situation as best we can. That's what we are here for...and, when asked nicely, we tend to really go out of our way to help folks out...at no charge, btw...

Second -- Support -- support is provided by the place of procurement by the original buyer. Most often, that is the carrier. They carry the contract for all front line support. RIM provides zero front line support -- contractually, they can't...it belongs to those on the front line. They can escalate to RIM -- and if they (the support provider) do, they can do so at zero cost to the owner of the BB. If, on the other hand, the owner decides to bypass the front line support, then they have decided to bypass their contract and RIM will quite naturally charge fees.

Third -- how to get help. Your issues are all at the moment hardware related. I predict you will find some further issues that are configuration and service related, but those are for the moment moot until you get the hardware working so that you can determine just what those other issues are. You are free to seek out any hardware repair shop you desire...I've never had to use them, but this place comes highly recommended:

http://horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/

Last -- after it's fixed. I believe that, since this seller was not reputable, there will be more problems. I predict you will be unable to configure email on your BB with your carrier. When that happens, do come back -- but the news then won't be good. Only the original owner can contact their original carrier and have the PIN released from that carrier. And only after that happens can the PIN be registered with BIS at another carrier. That, too, is just the way it works.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Message Edited by sdgardne on 08-07-2009 02:03 PM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

RE: So many problems. Does REAL tech support exist?

Hello again,

Sorry about the misdirected anger. I'm new to the Blackberry community so I don't really know any of the basics yet. I'm also still kicking myself for buying a phone from a random seller on eBay.

I will definitely try out that website. I spoke to them on the phone and they were very informative and pleasant.

Thanks kindly for the push in the right direction! Much appreciated.