Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
tarverator
My Device: Not Specified

Solution for Blackberry Pearl 8220 quick no-trackball menu toggle between MultiTap and SureType

I have stumbled upon a fix for an otherwise very irritating ¨feature¨ of the 8220the apparent inability to toggle MultiTap and SureType input without using the trackballIn any input field, press the Blackberry/Menu key, then the E/R key, and finally the Return keyThe E/R key selects Enable SureType/MultiTap from the menu, and you never have to touch the trackball or even look at the menuSo far this works on every input field I have triedEnjoy!
Please use plain text.
rgardega
My Device: blackberry curve
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Solution for Blackberry Pearl 8220 quick no-trackball menu toggle between MultiTap and SureType

Could you tell me what the E/R key is?  I can access blackberry menu, but except for emails and bbm I cannot access apps.

thanks,

Racheal

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tarverator

Re: Solution for Blackberry Pearl 8220 quick no-trackball menu toggle between MultiTap and SureType

The "e/r" key is the same as the "1" key.
Please use plain text.
Pataconjohn
My Device: Pearl 8220
My Carrier: O2 - UK

On my 8220 you jump down the menu with the "E/R/1" key twice and then hit enter to toggle between Multi and Sure type. (i.e not once like in the above post).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tarverator

It depends on the application you are in, as sometimes there are other entries in the menu that are also mapped to the E/R/1 key, and pressing the key basically cycles between them. I find that usually one press takes me there, sometimes two, and once in a while three presses. Since I discovered this, I don't believe I have EVER had to use the trackball to toggle entry modes, and I don't recall any application that mapped this functionality in the menu to any key other than E/R/1. Maybe that's a nice fluke, or maybe there is coding standard somewhere keeping it consistent. But yes, sometimes it takes more than one press.

One other tip is to remember to toggle back to SureType (which I prefer most of the time) immediately after MultiTap text entry, before leaving the text entry field, since there is no way to change modes after leaving the field because that menu item only appears in that context.

Please use plain text.