Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
nhpaul
My Device: Pearl 9100 3G
My Carrier: Telstra

Tether Pearl using Bluetooth or WiFi

Hi,

I have a Pearl 9100 (or something, it's the skinny one with the half keyboard). I would like to use it as a Bluetooth or WiFi modem for my iPad Mini. But it can only run Blackberry OS 6 which I think does not support WiFi tethering. So is it possible to tether via BlueTooth?

If not, then I'll throw it away and get something that can be used for my iPad Mini.

Thanks,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Tether Pearl using Bluetooth or WiFi

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

nhpaul wrote:

I have a Pearl 9100 (or something, it's the skinny one with the half keyboard). 

KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

nhpaul wrote:

I would like to use it as a Bluetooth or WiFi modem for my iPad Mini. But it can only run Blackberry OS 6 which I think does not support WiFi tethering. So is it possible to tether via BlueTooth?

If not, then I'll throw it away and get something that can be used for my iPad Mini. 

Using a BB as a Modem via USB or BT is a function for computers, not for tablets...refer:

• KB05178 Support for tethered modem use

However, what I think you are actually seeking is for your device to be a WiFi HotSpot, which could support other WiFi enabled devices. So, to research that, start here:

• KB31857 How to setup and manage a Mobile Hotspot Connection

As you can see, that function requires two things:

1. BB OS 7.1
  2. A adequate service plan from your mobile service provider

From what you've described so far, you definitely do not meet the first condition since you are on OS6.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nhpaul

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did mean a WiFi hotspot. It seems impossible so it looks like thowing the Pearl away and getting an iPhone or something. But I like the size of my BB, is there a smaller BB, the new one is too big.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You have to talk to your supplier about different models that are available for you. If you buy your devices from your carrier, then talk to them. Each region/carrier will have a different selection available...no single carrier supports all models AFAIK. You can research here:

But...

nhpaul wrote:

It seems impossible so it looks like thowing the Pearl away and getting an iPhone or something. 

Really? You like the size of your Pearl so you will replace with a iPhone, which is HUGE compared to your Pearl. The iPhone is more on par (as far as size) when compared with current BB Models, so I'm at a total loss concerning this threat, for it makes no sense at all given that the iPhone does not meet your "small size" requirement any better than a different BB does. But, each person must choose the device that best matches their personal set of needs...good luck.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nhpaul

Hi,

I like my Pearl it's the right size and does most of what I need. I don't read email nor surf the web on it - I use the iPad for that. And it wasn't a THREAT to go to iPhone as it may be my only choice. The iPhone is smaller and lighter than the BBZ10 which would be the only BB I would consider unless you can suggest something else.

Why do smart phone manufactures think we all want big phones? I want a good small 'smart' phone like the Pearl - as above I don't read email etc on it.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

There is no "perfect" device on the market...if there were, then there would be only one. Rather, there is a plethora of choice so as to attempt to satisfy the huge variety of requirements and desires that users have. Each manufacturer must make their choices as to which designs will best fit what they see as their best path to maximize profitability. If BlackBerry no longer meets your needs, then you are absolutely correct to move along to something else.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.