Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Reply
New Member
Sarcasmo8
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-06-2008
My Device: Not Specified

The Scam

I hate Blackberry and I will tell you why. I really really really wanted the Blackberry Curve, I was counting down the days until I could get it, and then I found out that Blackberry told Verizon that if a customer wanted a Blackberry they had to purchase the data package for an extra $30 a month at least. If you want that feature of the phone then it's cool, but I wasn't sure that I did and I hate that fact that I would be forced into it. I wanted the phone because of it's other features and I was not sure I wanted to have e-mail on it (I don't want my work to follow me where ever I go). So that's the Scam. It's total B.S. in my opinion that Blackberry is forcing you to pay extra for the "priviledge" of owning one of their phone. I will never buy a Blackberry now and I will tell anyone I meet to stay far far away.

Contributor
Argie916
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎07-30-2008
My Device: T-Mo 8120 Pearl

Re: The Scam

The Verizon site does not mention anything about having to pay an extra $30 monthly for a data plan, but it's possible that plans for this phone are more expensive, thus "covering up" the data plan.  AT&T does that with the iPhone, and nobody seems to complain.

 

I couldn't check the cost of the Curve's plans because I'm on T-Mo.  When I got my first BB (which lasted all of two weeks) I was told I needed to purchase the $29.99 data plan, that the $5.99 T-Zones was not available... so I returned it.  Now I got the 8120 and I have the $5.99 plan working fine, although every techie at T-Mo says that's not possible...  I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...

George from Bedford, TX
8120 on T-Mobile with BB Unlimited Email+Internet but
without the BlackBerry Enterprise service
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
Posts: 1,054
Registered: ‎05-23-2008
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: The Scam


Sarcasmo8 wrote:

I hate Blackberry and I will tell you why. I really really really wanted the Blackberry Curve, I was counting down the days until I could get it, and then I found out that Blackberry told Verizon that if a customer wanted a Blackberry they had to purchase the data package for an extra $30 a month at least. If you want that feature of the phone then it's cool, but I wasn't sure that I did and I hate that fact that I would be forced into it. I wanted the phone because of it's other features and I was not sure I wanted to have e-mail on it (I don't want my work to follow me where ever I go). So that's the Scam. It's total B.S. in my opinion that Blackberry is forcing you to pay extra for the "priviledge" of owning one of their phone. I will never buy a Blackberry now and I will tell anyone I meet to stay far far away.


 

Blackberrys are degisned for emails and use the Blackberry Only DATA network.

If you don't want to pay for that access, go buy a boring old nokia.

 

Hey actually i've got an old 3310 that might match your needs and price. I'll send it to you if you like. Just PM me your address..

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor
MadCatUSA
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-07-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The Scam

If you check, *ANY* carrier is going to charge an extra fee for owning a BlackBerry device. Why? Because BlackBerrys are designed as DATA devices as well as phones. They are designed for you to be able to access your email, calendar and other functions OVER THE AIR. If you don't like that, don't buy a BlackBerry! Simple as that! Buy a Treo instead and have fun with that.
Contributor
av8ing
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎06-29-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The Scam

[ Edited ]
I can't speak for any other carrier but the one I have which is AT&T. AT&T does not require a data plan to own a BlackBerry. I know that for sure because I don't have a data plan. The only extra feature I pay for is unlimited text messaging. I can browse the internet if I want to pay per use, and I can send sms messages. What I don't get without a data plan is email, GPS, PIN messages, and the $50 rebate they offered when I purchased. So it sounds to me like it's not RIM that requires a data plan, it's your carrier.
Message Edited by av8ing on 08-07-2008 05:04 PM
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
Posts: 1,054
Registered: ‎05-23-2008
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: The Scam


av8ing wrote:
I can't speak for any other carrier but the one I have which is AT&T. AT&T does not require a data plan to own a BlackBerry. I know that for sure because I don't have a data plan. The only extra feature I pay for is unlimited text messaging. I can browse the internet if I want to pay per use, and I can send sms messages. What I don't get without a data plan is email, GPS, PIN messages, and the $50 rebate they offered when I purchased. So it sounds to me like it's not RIM that requires a data plan, it's your carrier.
Message Edited by av8ing on 08-07-2008 05:04 PM

 

Yes but whats the point of having a blackberry if your not going to use it for what it is intended... EMAILS... go buy a normal device then and stop being a try hard.

 

Your carrier requires you to PAY for it because RIM (the makers of blackberry) Charge the carrier for you to be on the DATA network.

 

I'm sure not how you even get away with posting on this forum if you have no idea how blackberrys actually work.

 

 

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Regular Contributor
arej00dazed
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎04-14-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The Scam

hey, at least the BB data plan is cheaper than the windows based phones which is $50!!!

Contributor
Argie916
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎07-30-2008
My Device: T-Mo 8120 Pearl

Re: The Scam


MadCatUSA wrote:
If you check, *ANY* carrier is going to charge an extra fee for owning a BlackBerry device.

Not true.  I have a BB phone on T-Mobile and I'm not required to have the BB data plan.  I do, however, have the $5.95 T-MobileInternet plan, but that was my choice

George from Bedford, TX
8120 on T-Mobile with BB Unlimited Email+Internet but
without the BlackBerry Enterprise service
Contributor
Argie916
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎07-30-2008
My Device: T-Mo 8120 Pearl

Re: The Scam


bumblepie wrote:

Your carrier requires you to PAY for it because RIM (the makers of blackberry) Charge the carrier for you to be on the DATA network.

I'm sure not how you even get away with posting on this forum if you have no idea how blackberrys actually work.


Hey, bumblehead... read my lips: at least T-Mobile does not require a data plan, because I use one without it.

 

I'm sure not how you even get away with posting on this forum if you have no idea how phone plans actually work. 

George from Bedford, TX
8120 on T-Mobile with BB Unlimited Email+Internet but
without the BlackBerry Enterprise service
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
Posts: 1,054
Registered: ‎05-23-2008
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: The Scam

But,

 

Can you actually use the functionalities of a blackberry thought without paying for the blackberry plan?

 

PIN2PIn Messages (if you know what they are)

Blackberry BIS or BES email

Blackberry Free Browser courtesy of the RIM relay.

Blackberry Data Only applications.

 

??

 

If so, then geez you may be the first ive come across in the two years i've been working for RIM.

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~