Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Trackball button Problem

My 8100 has a problem when the trackball is pressed. It displays the Q/W letters on the screen and no longer acts a select button.  This happened when the phone was in my pocket.  Have i accidently changed a function, or is there a fault?? I have tried taking the battery out for a period of time and still no change. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Visitor

Re: Trackball button Problem

I have similar symptoms with my 8100 trackball "select" key which began Saturday 22 Nov 08.  Only difference is my characters are q/e rather than the usual carriage return.  I too thought I had accidently changed a function of the trackball.  A fix would be appreciated.
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Action like that is usually a symptom of moisture or liquid damange to the device..

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

My phone just fixed itself

About 5 day

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Glad your phone got fixed! 

Could you please solve the post. 

happy thanksgiving and enjoy your blackberry

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Re: Trackball button Problem Q letter appears when clicked

[ Edited ]

I have fallen victim to this problem as well. Device is original Pearl model. Removal and cleaning of trackball does not solve issue. I also let the device dry in bowl of rice in case of any moisture for over a day, just in case. Nothing else seems wrong, and its hard to believe the letter Q now appearing on trackball click is the only sign of moisture damage.

If I can't find a fix, I'm going iPhone. I've been a loyal RIM customer for years over several models, but I've become an expert in cleaning "the pearl" which I never wanted. I was plenty happy with the scroll wheel which never jammed or failed in my experience. I've seen the new track pad, but don't want to beta test another RIM product again.

Developer
My Device: Bold

I have to agree with the Beta Testing part. I just used my Bold in the rain, and now the trackball won't click. Annoying that this device is so fragile. Not very sturdy as a consumer product. Plus tired of having the BB occasionally crashing and rebooting with blu-tooth headset.

Any resolution from BB for dealing with moisture problems? I don't really see a resolution in this thread other than trying to send it in for repair or warranty.

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100
My Carrier: AT&T

my green phone key acts like my 4 key

my menu key acts like my 1 key

and my return key acts like my * key and sometime the ALT key

I trackball wet Saturday and I dried with a blow drier and have everyday. I think that might have fried it a little. At first it wasn't functioning at all but prayer changes things!

What do I do !! !! !! !! !! !! ?? ? ? ? ? ? ?

My Device: blackberry 8110
My Carrier: ?

I have had myself problem also the same! here a skilful link:

http://www.audsound.net/_share/bbtb_select_fix.pdf

Visitor
My Device: 8100 Pearl
My Carrier: l

Mines doing exactly the same thing, press pearl and it think's it is "S". Battery pull didn't fix,  trackball clean didn't fix, wipe  didn't fix. any ideas?