Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
rnckr
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Trackball is broken

Today the trackball on my 8220 stopped going to the right.  I am going to a T-Mobile store tomorrow to swap it out.  It physically doesn't move to the right.  My fingers glides over the top but the ball won't move.  It works fine going left or up and down but not to the right.  This is disheartening.  I have been playing with it, learning how a BlackBerry works and finally getting the hang of it.

Is this an unusual thing or are they prone to breaking?  I don't want to return it but I can't have a phone that breaks.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Trackball is broken

Hi and welcome to the forums,

It happens from time to time, but not as frequently as to be a major issue.

You can search the forums using the grey search box to see that while it does

occur, it's not a design flaw.

It's pretty easy to replace on your own as well. Here is a video that shows how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4Sz-keCpw

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
freddawson
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

It happens frequently...i always get it repaired at ...if u dont know how to fix it then they can help u out.

[removed advertisement]

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MoccasinLanding
My Device: Curve 8300 (EDGE) v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
My Carrier: ATT

:smileyhappy:

Why am I smiling? Well, I followed your link above which showed me how to clean and reinsert the ball and bezel.They fell out last week when I pulled my 8300 Curve out of the BBerry case. But just in case it is damaged from several years of use, I decided to replace it. I also ordered a fine looking white leather case for it too. And a tool kit. 

Curve8300 ATT
v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
Please use plain text.
broken_violin
My Device: Blackberry Pearl Flip RIM 8220

Trackball is completely broken.

:mansad:

My Blackberry Pearl Flip RIM 8220's trackball popped out at me 2 nights ago and now I can't find the components from when that happened. So should I just keep looking for the rollers and other components or should I just get a new blackberry? (Considering getting a Blackberry Curve 8520)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JeannieBug
My Device: 8100 Pearl

Re: Trackball is completely broken.

You should be able to take it to your local carrier's (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.) store and have it replaced. They replaced mine for free.

Please use plain text.