Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
Diamonique
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

Transfer apps to media card?

I have a Pearl 8130.

Is it possible to transfer some of my apps from the phone's internal memory to the media card?  If so, will those apps still show up on my screen like normal?

I'd just like to free up some of my phone's memory if possible.  Thanks in advance!

Sprint, Bold 9650 v6.0.0.415, DM v6.0.1.18, 8GB SD card
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Transfer apps to media card?

Hi there!

"Transfer"? No. Not possible. "Archive"...yes...AppWorld will archive apps to the media card. There are other add-ons that purport to do the same. But, for an app to actually run, it must reside in AppMemory...so those tricks actually shift the app in and out of AppMemory when you use them.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Diamonique

I'm kinda new at this, so bear with me please.

I don't get the difference between archive and transfer, so let me ask it this way:

If I use the app you're referring to from AppWorld to "archive" my applications (twitter, facebook, etc.) on the media card, will this free up space in my phone so it doesn't start deleting call logs and stuff?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

The space will remain free, but only for the time the app remains archived. Once you ask to actually run the app, it will be re-installed into AppMemory (to run an app, it MUST be installed into AppMemory). If you have low memory problems at that moment, your BB will likely obediently start to delete the "lower priority" things to make room for the app. Or, it might actually refuse to restore the app to AppMemory...I've never actually experienced that precise circumstance.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Diamonique

OK. I understand now.  Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.