Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
litterbug
My Device: Not Specified

Transfer contacts from old phone and Palm?

I'm in my trial period deciding whether to finally switch from Palm plus phone to the Pearl 8220 and am pretty happy so far. I've have now worked through the most difficult of the expected challenges of learning a new system, so am leaning towards sticking with it.

So now that I'm about to committ, will I be able to '

1) transfer my contacts from my ATT Samsung Sync. I don't currently sync my the Sync to my computer, but it does have a SIM card.

2) Can I do the same from my Palm? I don't have bluetooth on the Palm, so I guess I'd be somehow transferring data from the Palm desktop program.

I don't have a data package (not wanting that much connectivity), so I'd have to do it on PocketMac, now that I've gotten it to work. Any ideas?

litterbug

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Transfer contacts from old phone and Palm?

You can use the Switch Device Wizard found in the Desktop Manager software. Do you have access to a PC to do this from? I know that you mentioned PocketMac, but that software does not have the Switch Device Wizard.

You can read more about using that program here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05459

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
litterbug

I've got a PC at work and already downloaded BB Desktop Manager so I could do backups and organizer entry here, too. 

However, it looks like I'm out of luck. 

First, I need to be switching from a Treo, and I've only had a Z22.  I hoped to be able to transfer the data throught the Palm desktop program, which would have eliminated device compatability issues.

Second, in order to switch I'd need to have the Palm connected, which is impossible at the moment because last week I poured a quart of water into my purse and drowned it. 

If you know of a way to transfer data using the Palm Desktop program let me know.  Otherwise I guess I'll be doing it manually.

Any suggestions on transferring my old phone's contacts?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

In the cases with both devices, are the numbers saved on both SIM cards? If so you can place the SIM cards into the BlackBerry, open the BlackBerry address book, hit the menu button, go into SIM Phone Book. Doing this will take you to a screen that contains all the names/numbers on the SIM card. From here you can hit the menu button and choose Copy All to Address Book. Doing that will copy everything listed to the BlackBerry's address book.

I believe that most carriers also have machines in their store to help transfer #s between devices. You can call them to find that out.

I've never used a Palm or Palm Desktop before, but I believe there's an export option to export your contacts to a certain file type. Maybe CSV is one of them. If you have Outlook at work, it can import from a variety of file types. To see which go into File | Import and Export | Import from another program or file and see the different types. If it has one listed, like CSV, that the Palm Desktop can export then you can export from Palm and Import into the Outlook's contacts folder and it should bring everything across.

Let me know.    :smileyhappy:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
litterbug

Thanks!  I'll play around with both issues and let you know if I get somewhere with them.  I do have a SIM card on the old phone, so I'll move all the contacts to the card and see if the BB can read it.  Exporting from Palm to .csv, and then from .csv to the Switch Devices function may result in some amusing results, but it's worth a try.  I don't know if I could merge both of them without ending up with a bunch of repeated entries but again, so long as I make a backup of the BB first, I guess there'd be no real harm done. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Please use plain text.
ralphhipps

I'm trying to import data (contacts, to do's, memo's, calendar) from my Palm and/or Outlook 2003 into my Flip via the BB Desktop Mangler, and I'm having almost no luck at all. I've tried exporting from both Outlook and Palm Desktop in every format possible (csv, tab, dos, win, etc) and it's been rough.

To Do's finally came over (Outlook tab win worked), and Contacts too (Outlook tab win sort of worked), but the contacts had fields misaligned even tho I checked everything, added a line at the top of the tab delimited file with the field names (per the bb support site), etc. I have to go thru 1600 contacts and copy and paste the data back into the correct fields, mostly phone #s and email.

The Memo's are a nightmare, nothing lines up, and if I bring the data in I get 10,000 categories because the memo bodys get mapped into the small cat fields (a memo 1600 char long creates 100 cats, etc). I've tried this 40 different ways and nothing works.

Calendar is totally impossible, nothing works at all.

Another fun wrinkle is that my BES service at work is tied to Lotus Notes, not Outlook. (I know, totally Neanderthal, but that's what we use). So that limits my options. Nothing will import into Notes, it just dies whenever you try to import (or export!) anything. Lovely.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

At this point, BB Desktop Mangler is a totally disappointing POS (piece of software).   :smileywink:

Please use plain text.