Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
OrangeWolf
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
Accepted Solution

Typing on a Pearl 9100

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, I just got a Blackberry Pearl 9100 off eBay for a good price ($70 with battery, charger, and USB cable), and I'm looking forward to using it. I wasn't expecting to have any trouble with typing because I'd used a friends for a while before just fine, but...

...but I am having trouble typing on it. I don't know what's going on but for the life of me I can't figure out how to type in a URL properly (since most words in a URL won't be recognized). I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get to TVTropes with no success. Is there a way to turn off the predictive text or something so that you can just type by pushing the letters you want? I can see how the SureType predictive stuff might be great for messaging and whatnot but it is almost impossible to get a URL entered.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong and need practice, but I spent a good bit of time on Google before coming here too and no luck with figuring out how the typing is supposed to work in detail. Holding ALT gets me numbers instead of alternate letters, shift capitalizes, and so forth.

Help please? Thanks! I want to make sure I'm doing something wrong and that it's nothing wrong with the phone (which is used).

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Typing on a Pearl 9100

Maybe these links will help:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/switch_blackberry_pearl_from_multitap_to_suretype.html

or

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080625052550AANIpLN

I've never used a pearl, but maybe this will help.

You can switch between predictive text (Sure-Type) and ABC (multi-tap) mode on your Blackberry Pearl by navigating to the "Options" folder. Select the "Languages" option, then "Input Language" and finally the input method that you wish to use.

My Device: Blackberry Playbook

This helped -- I'm still having some trouble, as this didn't seem to work like it was supposed to (swapping the input still left it on SureType as far as I can tell), but I did at least use a hint in here to be able to get the URL entered.  I did it by typing a letter and erasing until it magically gave me the one I wanted, haha, but at least I got it to work.

Thanks

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

what you did is the usualy way on a SureType keyboard, and this is what I do.

Other solution is to do a search in a search engine, and then click on the link :smileyhappy:

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: